Is too much fruit bad?

Options
I hear some people saying that eating too much fruit a day is bad, and others say there's nothing bad about that. What are your opinions on snacking on fruit all day during weight-loss? Can it really jeopardise weight-loss or is that just a myth?

Thanks.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, if you are in a calorie deficit, you will lose. And there is no such thing as too much fruit.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The big scare with fruit is sugar which to some people is the devil when it comes to weight loss/health. But unless you actually have a medical condition (diabetes, etc) which require you to limit your sugars/carbs, there's no need to be cautious.

Also, think of it this way - have you ever heard of someone becoming overweight/obese due to eating too much fruit?

As long as it fits your calories, you can eat it.
  • Tammy_1971
    Tammy_1971 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Just keep an eye on the sugar
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's too vague a question. What "too much?" "Bad" in what way, exactly?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,007 Member
    Options
    If it's helping you create a deficit by replacing some calorie dense foods, then no nothing wrong with that.
  • thecrushinator
    thecrushinator Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    if your super sensitive to sugar (head aches, bloating, general ****ty feeling) small doses. If not have fun.

Personally I try to stick to the nutrient dense low fructose end of the spectrum oranges, kiwi, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, apples when their in season.

PS.
    beware of dried "fruit snacks" with added sugar. I can literately eat a bag of banana chips. Does not count as fruit.
  • psuLemon
    Options

This only applies if you have a medical condition or you are eating so much sugar that it takes away from other vital nutrients. Sugar by and in itself is not bad or unhealthy for you by any means.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Certain fruits and fruit juices i know are not great for the Teeth, if you have them too often (due to high sugar content or being too acidic).
    I tend not to eat too much fruits tbh and i always water-down fruit juices.
  • neanderthin
    Options

This only applies if you have a medical condition or you are eating so much sugar that it takes away from other vital nutrients. Sugar by and in itself is not bad or unhealthy for you by any means.
    Sugar does nothing for health, it's the nutrients found in the whole foods with sugar that are important. If sugar was healthy then we would see improved health markers when sugar is increased, but we don't. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying sugar is evil, just that it isn't really that healthy on it's own.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Too much fructose gets stored in the liver and quickly replenishes glycogen levels. However, fruit has many benefits such as vitamins and fiber. I wouldn't go crazy with fruit but in moderation.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Sugar does nothing for health, it's the nutrients found in the whole foods with sugar that are important. If sugar was healthy then we would see improved health markers when sugar is increased, but we don't. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying sugar is evil, just that it isn't really that healthy on it's own.

Lets face it though, we aren't eating fruit for the sugar, its low calorie and nutrient dense. It just so happens to have sugar in it. And we still have to define what is "too much sugar".
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I hear some people saying that eating too much fruit a day is bad, and others say there's nothing bad about that. What are your opinions on snacking on fruit all day during weight-loss? Can it really jeopardise weight-loss or is that just a myth?

Thanks.
    It all depends what you're going to do with it? If you're going to beat yourself around the head with a pineapple that's really not good and could hurt. if though your just going to eat it and you have no medical conditions that mean you have to limit sugar intake. Go eat fruit it's lovely and full of good stuff.
  • Philp0718
    Philp0718 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Eating fruit is not bad, just log everything and be sure to balance out your macros (if health is as important as weight management). The reason why most people say that eating "too much fruit is bad" is just because of the carb/sugar levels.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I dont know about anyone else, but I'm not sure many people have an appetite for too much fruit. At least I don't. I only want just so much fruit.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Lets face it though, we aren't eating fruit for the sugar, its low calorie and nutrient dense. It just so happens to have sugar in it. And we still have to define what is "too much sugar".
    I wasn't arguing about the sugar in whole foods like fruit, I was refuting your point that sugar by and in itself was not unhealthy, of course context and dosage needs to be applied.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, unless you have a medical reason to limit your sugars, fruit is very good and healthy. Eat as much as you like that still fits in with your macros.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    if you are in a deficit you will lose, period, the only case in which you eat too much fruit is if it eats into other vital macronutrients (protein/fat) so that you're deficient in them, so basically as long as you're hitting your protein and fat minimums and in a deficit you are fine
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit = weight loss. If you're caloric allowance is 1500 a day and you're eating 1550 a day in fruit, then YEP. If you stay within your allowance, it doesn't matter what you eat.
  • JtKeil
    JtKeil Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I never hesitate to grab a piece of fruit. I think eating several pieces of fruit (and veg) a day really combats the hunger pangs. Possibly due to all the fiber. One great thing about fruit is that it takes me longer to eat grapefruit for example than to eat a handful of cookies yet it's only 40-80 ish calories...and yummy.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    If you consider a truckload of pineapples falling on top of you as "too much", then yes, that is bad. If you consider eating 14 watermelon at once as "too much", then yes, that is bad.

In other words, what is "too much"? And as everyone else has said before me, as long as calories burned is greater than calories consumed, you will lose weight. Period.