Week fail :( Did I blow it?

Options
OK so I had 2 parties to go to this weekend.

On Saturday I ate very very light and did extra laps in the pool just to prepare myself. However, when I got to the BBQ nothing look appitizing so I nursed 2 lite beers and was home before 9. I only ended up consuming about 600 calories for the day, but since it was too late to eat and I wasn't very hungry I just watched TV and went to bed.

However, yesterday I had a family party to go to and completely over-ate. Not because I was starving, but because everything just looked so yummy and I haven't had a 'cheat day' since I started this in July. I didn't even bother logging anything in. I had awful heartburn all night :(

So my question is - will my epic fail yesterday make an impact on my weigh in this Friday?

Replies

• quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Don't worry - it was only ONE day. One day will not impact anything in the long run. Just get back to eating in moderation and don't sweat it :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    OK so I had 2 parties to go to this weekend.

On Saturday I ate very very light and did extra laps in the pool just to prepare myself. However, when I got to the BBQ nothing look appitizing so I nursed 2 lite beers and was home before 9. I only ended up consuming about 600 calories for the day, but since it was too late to eat and I wasn't very hungry I just watched TV and went to bed.

However, yesterday I had a family party to go to and completely over-ate. Not because I was starving, but because everything just looked so yummy and I haven't had a 'cheat day' since I started this in July. I didn't even bother logging anything in. I had awful heartburn all night :(

So my question is - will my epic fail yesterday make an impact on my weigh in this Friday?
    If I ate 600 calories the day before I would probably find all the food the next day to be appetizing....
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    No you did not blow it. Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and move on.
  • mave34
    mave34 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't think you blew it, log and move on. You're human and you're bound to have some ups and downs. Don't be hard on yourself :) It's a new week :)
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even worry about it.

It takes 3,500 calories + maintenance to gain 1lb,

You might gain a bit of water weight, but once you get back on it - You will be fine.

Drink lots of water to flush any high sodium/salty foods you consumed!
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    And if you look at your weekly in and out, you may find those days never hurt your week at all.
  • kittykat1994
    kittykat1994 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't think so!

Saturday you was probably more than a 1000 calories under your maintenance. The next day, you could have eaten your maintenance calories plus the additional calories left over from Saturday to average your maintenance. I think some people on here refer to it as calorie recycling, where that person has a weekly goal, rather than a daily goal.

Eating a lot of party food may have a lot of sodium in it, causing a bit of water retention, but that should be mostly gone by Friday. If you move on, and keep eating in a balanced way for rest of the week, I can't see that your weigh in should be impacted in any way.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    If I ate 600 calories the day before I would probably find all the food the next day to be appetizing....
    [/quote]

Let me tell you about my aunt's spinach dip and my mom's deviled eggs :laugh: I don't usually see these yummy things until the holidays!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    It is usually a good idea NOT to eat lighter to get ready for a party. Just give yourself a goal for that day that is higher than usual which can serve as a "refeed" or "cheat." If you really want to adjust for a party do so on other days by cutting back about 250 kcals a couple of days before or after.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it all pretty well would have equaled out over the two days. I wouldn't stress about it. Besides, even if you do go up a little at your weekly weigh in, this is just one week. There most likely will be several more to make up for it.

For the record, I do cheat days a few times a month. I may feel like a blob for a couple days after, but it is rarely reflected on the scale.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I do feel like a big blob and the heartburn I had last night was just crazy!!! I'm hoping that by tomorrow I'll feel normal
  • mj_mowrey
    mj_mowrey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Failure is not a single, cataclysmic event.
    You don't fail overnight.
    Instead, failure is a few errors in judgement, repeated every day.--Jim Rohn

Get back on track. You Can Do This!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you foundd a balance from the 600 calorie day with extra laps in the pool to a day of eating more. I would say you did a body recomp cycle for the weekend without even knowing it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It was one day, log it and move on.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Everyone has bad days / weeks. Everyone has weeks where they get on the scale and it moved in the wrong direction.

This is life. Just get back to doing what you need to do. At worst, it means instead of getting to your goal in 147 days, it will take 149. No big deal. The only way to blow it is if you let a bad weekend stop you from continuing to try!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    And for the record - it is never "too late to eat." :bigsmile:
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I have tried the "Eating for Life" regimen where you do pick one day a week to eat whatever you like and however much you like. The other six days a week you eat six times per day, always eating a palm size of protein and a fist size of carbs (adding in vegetables- as much as you like). Dairy counts as protein and of course fruit is a carb. So you eat breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, mid afternoon snack, dinner and then after dinner snack. You do lose weight on this plan (plus you eat whatever you like one day per week). I just found it hard to stick with because I didn't want to eat so many times per day and it doesn't fit into my schedule very well. But in any case, the author of the book stressed over and over that it's how you eat over the long term that will determine your weight loss. If you mess up every single day, then you probably won't see a big change, but if you eat whatever you like once a week you will still see a change because MOST of the time you're eating right. My husband always says "donuts are not bad for you, it's donuts every day that are bad for you."
  • Justamom410
    Justamom410 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I always tell myself that One Day WILL NOT define my week.
  • Renosu
    Renosu Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, and my BF (a doctor) gave me a great line: "You're not going to get to your goal in one day, and by the same token you're not going to sabotage your whole game in one day either" Pretty sound thinking, except for the part where we mentally sabotage ourselves for "cheating".