Squat Rack vs. Smith Machine

Options
2»

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Some squat racks look more like a cage but they don't have the bars behind you, just the front and you can bench and stuff in them. My buddy has a nice Rogue Fitness one.

I wouldn't really say that the Smith Machine is safer by any means. The Smith Machine locks you into a range of motion that may not be fluid for your body and possibly even unsafe. There are stats on Smith Machine injuries, try Googling it.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Some squat racks look more like a cage but they don't have the bars behind you, just the front and you can bench and stuff in them. My buddy has a nice Rogue Fitness one.

I wouldn't really say that the Smith Machine is safer by any means. The Smith Machine locks you into a range of motion that may not be fluid for your body and possibly even unsafe. There are stats on Smith Machine injuries, try Googling it.

Single axis = you are correct
    Dual axis = are just fine for squatting properly
    Pic of dual axis version. Bar is free to move up/down and forward/rearward. Which does not restrict motion in those two axis.
    fw_111_dual_sliding_smith_machine.jpg

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    The dual axis smith machine, the intersection of reality and belief.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

Pic of dual axis version

Interesting. I've never used or even seen one, so I really can't comment. The barbell is still supported by the sides? It seems like it at least. Looking at the unit itself; it seems like it would be comparable in price to a squat rack / cage with a bar and that is definitely better anyway.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Pic of dual axis version

Interesting. I've never used or even seen one, so I really can't comment. The barbell is still supported by the sides? It seems like it at least. Looking at the unit itself; it seems like it would be comparable in price to a squat rack / cage with a bar and that is definitely better anyway.

Yes, the bar moves up and down perfectly parallel to the ground no matter what. Also the bar doesn't twist. So there are some motions that are restricted. I'd guess that this would be more expensive than a squat rack. And I'd say a little less versatile. There are two reasons why I mention this machine:

1) People keep incorrectly labeling all smith machines bad.
    2) If you see one of these, don't decide not to use it because it's a "smith machine". It's pretty good to use if your choices are to squat and not to squat.

If my choice was to squat using the single axis version, I'd probably not squat at all.