am i switching it up too often?

ljbouse
ljbouse Posts: 129
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
i have numerous videos- tae bo, walk at home, yoga, dance, and different circuit types. right now i am working out 6 days a week- taebo, dance and yoga, circuit-aerobic/weights, walk at home, abs and arms of steel, dance and yoga. am i mixing it up too much? should i cut back to only 3 videos to see a better benefit.?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    The more variety the better, keeps your muscles guessing and lowers the chance for a repetitive strain injury.
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    I don't think it matters.

80% of weight loss is nutrition. What are your goals and what is the effect you see? From your photo, you don't have that much to lose, so a steady slow loss would probably be to be expected.

I looked at your diary, and see several days you went over, several days under, and before that not much tracking for a while - start tracking so that you know where you stand, first, I'd say.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member

80% of weight loss is nutrition. What are your goals and what is the effect you see? From your photo, you don't have that much to lose, so a steady slow loss would probably be to be expected.

I looked at your diary, and see several days you went over, several days under, and before that not much tracking for a while - start tracking so that you know where you stand, first, I'd say.

A healthy diet will help keep you healthier and cutting out things like artificial sweeteners and high fructose corn syrup will help to stop storing fat. But, if you mean that a calorie deficit is the most important part of losing weight, that's not true. For some people the exercise is the important part because that's what gets the metabolism going.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    By all means, keep switching it up. Each different workout will work your muscles to different degrees and keep you from geting bored with the same old workout.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    It depends on your goals, how proficient you are at the movements, the overall structure and balance of your program, etc.

The idea that you have to "keep the muscles guessing" is pure infomercial balderdash.

Varying the training stimulus is an important part of a workout program, but that doesn't mean changing exercises at random just for the sake of change. It means that you include some complementary movement variety, but mostly that you include different intensities--ranging from easy endurance to hard interval.

One potential pitfall of changing routines too much is that you never become proficient enough at the movements to perform at a quality level of exertion.

Another is that you get stuck at the same intensity levels--either too high or too low, or without enough variety.

But the main potential problem is that you might be spending a lot of time doing things that don't meet your needs. The typical class includes warm up, cool down, an overemphasis on ineffective exercises for tertiary body areas (e.g. abs and thighs) to the point where you are lucky if 60% of the class time is actual quality exercise. You need a focus to your workouts if you want to make progress. That means choosing exercises that meet your goals and following a structure progressive routine. It's hard to do that switching every day between unrelated workouts.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member

A healthy diet will help keep you healthier and cutting out things like artificial sweeteners and high fructose corn syrup will help to stop storing fat. But, if you mean that a calorie deficit is the most important part of losing weight, that's not true. For some people the exercise is the important part because that's what gets the metabolism going.

Actually, it is true. The most important factor, by far, in promoting fat oxidation is maintaining a negative energy balance. Exercise plays a modest role in maintaining that deficit. In the long term, exercise helps conserve lean mass, provides numerous health benefits, provides positive reinforcement and promotes adherence to an eating plan. But maintaining a calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight and the primary contribution of exercise is in helping to maintain that deficit.
  • ljbouse

taletreader. i stopped tracking my meals for most of the summer. found it difficult to work, exercise, be a mom, take care of the house, etc and make daily entries. so when i started cutting things to make time, keeping a food journal and making daily entries was the first to go. i recently decided that i need MFP and i am just going to have to adjust my time and if i am running short, the laundry or dishes or sweeping the floor will have to wait. i need to change that photo as that is where i want to be. i need to get a current pic to post.
  • ljbouse
    thanks to everyone for the advice!!
This discussion has been closed.