I just want to eat...

Options
Hi! I am not necessarily "new" to weight loss, but I am certainly new to ACTUALLY trying ;) I have been faithfully logging in and checking my food in. However, I am feeling a little overwhelmed because today I JUST WANT TO EAT, anything and everything I see. I have work and class today so I know I am busy, but what is something I can eat that will satisfy me? Any food or drink ideas would be great...
Thanks! :)

Replies

• court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I try to drink water when I find myself wanting to reach for a snack (I keep a big bottle with me everywhere I go) or carry healthy filling stuff like baby carrots & radishes, almonds & string cheese, or those little Jiff to-gos & celery! I also recently discovered Kind bars which are amazing!
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Water water water.... And if you NEED to eat something try some carrot sticks, or low fat popcorn. Both are high in fiber and help curb cravings.
  • markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    For an on the go snack I recommend eating a protein bar. It's good for getting your protein numbers in and they are healthy. I personally use Pure Protein bar, but there are various brands to choose from. Just make sure you look at the sugar content. You want the bar to be low in sugar.
  • choosing_fitness
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas :)
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    air popped popcorn (no butter) 3 cups.
    Big veggie smoothie with Greek yogurt (you'll feel good about all the green veggies you are eating)
    Check your cycle. Craving happen just before. Maybe that's why you just want to eat? Or are you stressed. Sorry, you asked for ideas of what to eat...I got a little carried away.
    Deep breaths.
    Good luck.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    My new go-to is wasabi peas. They're surprisingly filling, and so flavorful.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nuts or peanut butter. Anything calorie dense with water usually curbs this for me.
  • choosing_fitness
    Options
    air popped popcorn (no butter) 3 cups.
    Big veggie smoothie with Greek yogurt (you'll feel good about all the green veggies you are eating)
    Check your cycle. Craving happen just before. Maybe that's why you just want to eat? Or are you stressed. Sorry, you asked for ideas of what to eat...I got a little carried away.
    Deep breaths.
    Good luck.

Thank you for the insight ;) IT IS ALWAYS important to look at the triggers...
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have been in your shoes before and caved, and yo-yo'ed between 200-210 for a couple of months because of it. I can tell you it is 100% mental, and I haven't had much success 'tricking' my brain into NOT wanting to eat any more. I just have to exercise a LOT of willpower.

That said, chocolate protein shakes & peanut butter sandwiches are my go-to 'snacks' - they easily come in at 500+ calories together, so I usually make myself work out beforehand, so they fit into my calories. For example, I wake up just wanting to eat ALL the things. I get through the day, but after supper I just feel like vegging out in front of the TV with chocolate and carbs. So I let my supper go down, and go bust my butt at the gym - even 20-30 minutes is better than nothing, but with lifting I can make it to 45. I work out until I'm exhausted, shower, then lie in bed with my chocolate smoothie and PB sandwich and watch a few episodes of my fav show. Feels decadent but I earned it :)

You do have the willpower in you, it's just like a muscle that needs exercise too :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I generally see this when people over restrict calories and/or foods. How many calories are you eating? What type of exercise are you doing? And what are your stats?
  • Realtree2429
    Realtree2429 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I generally see this when people over restrict calories and/or foods. How many calories are you eating? What type of exercise are you doing? And what are your stats?

My thoughts as well. Last time I "dieted", I restricted myself too much. Yes, I lost weight! Quite a bit actually. But then I started to totally binge and didn't stop. I was hungry ALL THE TIME! So this time, I set my goals to lose 1 lb a week, eat back 75% of exercise calories earned, and I don't believe I have gone hungry once. If anything, I find myself eating something like peanut butter to reach my calorie goal at the end of the day :)
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and celery and drink a lot of water.

29509743.png
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Are you craving anything in particular? Sometimes when I want sweet, a piece of fruit is enough to give my body sugar. Sometimes a diet soda does the trick too as it also makes me feel full (carbonation).

For crunchy, I agree with the popcorn. Either air pop at home or get some of those 100 cal bag of light butter microwave popcorn. I like those best because they're already portioned out so you can gobble up the bag guilt free.
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    My new go-to is wasabi peas. They're surprisingly filling, and so flavorful.

Still have not tried these but I want to. Thanks for the reminder!
  • nsides0427
    nsides0427 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    A really great snack to munch on and not feel guilty about is roasted edamame. They are really delicious and full of protein as well. I keep a bag at my desk handy at all times.