How much weight a week can I realistically lose?

Options
Hello,

I am 5ft 7 and weigh 9st 12llbs size 10 at the moment (my normal weight is 9st 7llbs) but I want to get down to 9st size 8. How much weight a week realistically do you think I can lose and what advice would you give me for losing for most?

Replies

• markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Realistically you should lose between 1-2 pounds a week. You will probably lose more than that at first due to water weight being lost, but once you get into the swing of things 1-2 pounds a week is what you should be seeing. As for how to lose the fastest it all comes down to eating healthy and exercising. For a female a good starting point is 1600 calories at 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fats. Tony Horton's YouTube channel is a great place to start for finding exercise routines. He posts free workouts every week.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Realistically you should lose between 1-2 pounds a week. You will probably lose more than that at first due to water weight being lost, but once you get into the swing of things 1-2 pounds a week is what you should be seeing. As for how to lose the fastest it all comes down to eating healthy and exercising. For a female a good starting point is 1600 calories at 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fats. Tony Horton's YouTube channel is a great place to start for finding exercise routines. He posts free workouts every week.
    Ugh what? No, just no.

Realistically, if you have less than 30lbs to lose, 0.5lbs per week is the range you should be losing at.

Here is an awesome reference to get started:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • charlotteclogg
    Options
    .5llbs is worse than I thought! I thought the least amount of weight I could lose would be a pound a week ????
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    What's the rush? Do you want it to stay off for good, or do you just want it off? Your answer to that question will determine how fast you get it off and if you can maintain.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    2-3lbs a week if you are eating right and working out consistently.

29509743.png
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options

29509743.png

Sorry, but wrong if she's only got 12 lbs to lose!
  • wubbykid
    wubbykid Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Experts and nutritionists say 1-2 pounds per week, but I find that a lot of people can lose 2 to 3 pounds a week, average. Even very thin people.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am 5ft 7 and weigh 9st 12llbs size 10 at the moment (my normal weight is 9st 7llbs) but I want to get down to 9st size 8. How much weight a week realistically do you think I can lose and what advice would you give me for losing for most?

I have no clue what 9st 12llbs means but I think al healthy weight loss is anywhere from 1/2 pound to 2 pounds a week.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

29509743.png

Sorry, but wrong if she's only got 12 lbs to lose!

This!^

There is healthy weight loss and there is fast weight loss. These 2 things are not the same.

Morbidly obese people can lose weight fast (as in a % of their body weight).....and keep lean muscle. When you have less weight to lose that same percentage translates into fewer pounds per week. When you are closer to goal you have less reserves in storage and are at a greater risk for losing lean muscle mass along with fat.

OP - do you want to reduce your body fat % .....or do you just want a specific number on the scale?
  • lolly715
    Options
    Hello,

I have no clue what 9st 12llbs means but I think al healthy weight loss is anywhere from 1/2 pound to 2 pounds a week.

Stone (st) is a weight measurement used in the UK. 1st is 14lbs, therefore 9st 12lb is 138lbs.

OP - Given that you're already at a healthy weight for your height and don't have much you want to lose, I'd agree that around half a pound a week is realistic. Maybe 1lb in the first week or two if you've got any water weight.