Soda/Pop/Coke...whatever you call it!

Options
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but can anyone tell me whether drinking DIET soda hinders weight loss and if so, how? I've seen a lot of posts about people who are going to quit drinking soda but they don't say whether it's regular or diet. Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    It is a zero calorie drink and in no way will it hinder your weight loss.... I drink 2 or 3 Diet Pepsi a day and have throughout my weight loss and have lost a few pounds..... Queue the fear mongering due to the evil aspartame in 3.......2........1.......... and go........ lol :drinker:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's pop. Pop, pop, pop.

Aside from the sodium bloating you, they say that it stimulates the appetite. I don't know that it stimulated mine. I don't think so.

I went back and forth, on and off the stuff for years. Every time I quit, I knew how much better felt without it. Bid drop a pound or two, but that was sodium and not fat.

That caffeine is so addictive!!
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    it doesn't.

I however can't do the taste, so I cut it out completely.
  • my_2_cents
    my_2_cents Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    First of all, soda is not good for us in any form. Second, there are scientific indications that fake sugars such as aspartame etc are triggering responses in our body that are not desirable. I believe weight gain or impaired weight loss is one, but I'm not a scientist so I don't want to make exaggerated claims.

My suggestion to you is that soda tastes far better in its form as intended with real sugars. Budget for it in your calories and therefore you are owning up to your bad habit. This way, you either choose to drink your soda and perhaps are a bit more hungry, or you choose to eat more food and make the conscious decision that despite its great taste, soda is only worth it once in a while. I do this and I never have to feel guilty about drinking Pepsi because I know I'm making a conscious decision and I will take responsibility for it.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    It doesn't.

I don't drink it nearly as much as I used to, but sometimes I have some when I just need something with some flavor. I drink mostly water now and sometimes you just need something different.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    First of all, soda is not good for us in any form. Second, there are scientific indications that fake sugars such as aspartame etc are triggering responses in our body that are not desirable. I believe weight gain or impaired weight loss is one, but I'm not a scientist so I don't want to make exaggerated claims.

No there aren't.

Diet soda is fine. It's an easy way to cut calories if you drink regular soda.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

My suggestion to you is that soda tastes far better in its form as intended with real sugars. Budget for it in your calories and therefore you are owning up to your bad habit. This way, you either choose to drink your soda and perhaps are a bit more hungry, or you choose to eat more food and make the conscious decision that despite its great taste, soda is only worth it once in a while. I do this and I never have to feel guilty about drinking Pepsi because I know I'm making a conscious decision and I will take responsibility for it.

Please post the studies on this. I want to see them.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    It did not hinder my progress (diet mt dew and diet coke) but went cold turkey soon into my WOE because i wanted to start drinking more water. Still have my cup of coffee in the morning though... not giving that up.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    For most its regular soda though to be honest its got more to do with the sugar and calorie content in regular soda. This being said there are also those who give up diet because of aspartame related concerns see the aspartame posts pinned. The whole foods, clean eaters, and paleo/primal groups have also for the most part given up soda or at least severely limited due to dietary restrictions. Then you've got the ones that are cutting back caffeine or just don't care for the taste (I fall into this one.) I personally can't point to any study that says diet soda hurts weight loss in anyway though I hear there are some out there.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Would really like to see this scientific data that you speak of....... I have research drinking diet sodas for the past 5 years since a began this journey and have not read one peer reviewed study stating that drinking diet soda in moderate amounts will harm you in any way.....
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about calories. No calories therefore no weight gain. There is a theory that drinking/eating sweetened things triggers cravings but I don't agree. If you drink a lot of it and not much water, there could be a water retention issue but I think that'd be kind of extreme.

I've never been a huge soda drinker but I'll have one, maybe two a week. It's usually more for the want of something sweet and kind of filling without eating a bunch of junk. It's hard for me to drink something carbonated (get hiccups) so I really take my time and enjoy it.

BTW...taste is subjective people. Just because you think the real stuff is better, it doesn't mean everyone does.

And now I want a soda. :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    even regular pop does not hinder weight loss. Just account for the calories and you are golden.

There may be other reasons to avoid soda, regular or diet, but weight loss doesn't have to be one
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You drink it, you pee it out.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I drink a Diet pop every few days (drinking a cold pop right now actually) and at one point drank several of them a day. It does nothing to hinder or help the process.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this question has been asked before, but can anyone tell me whether drinking DIET soda hinders weight loss and if so, how? I've seen a lot of posts about people who are going to quit drinking soda but they don't say whether it's regular or diet. Thanks in advance! :)

Mmmm diet soda...my favorites in order of preference:
    - Diet Pepsi Wild Cherry
    - Coke Zero Cherry
    - Coke Zero Vanilla
    - Diet Dr Pepper Cherry
    - Diet Dr Pepper
    - Diet Pepsi
    - Diet Dr Thunder (walmarts version of Dr. Pepper)

One of the first changes I made when I started to work on my weight was when I want a soda 90% of the time choose diet and 10% of the time get a regular soda. However, most regular soda's are now too sweet for me. Usually if I'm going for a regular soda it is Mountain Dew.

In some people the artificial sweeteners can cause them to crave sweets. Now that is only going to hinder weight loss if you cave in and end up eating enough to put you at or over maintenance calories.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I have quit all for the most part. Occasionally I will have some after church at our luncheons. I used to drink 3-5 20oz a day. Now I just drink coffee in the morning water all day and an adult beverage or two some nights.

29509743.png
  • KatieKansan
    KatieKansan Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I cut out pop completely for 4 months and i have to say i don't miss it! I had headaches at first because I was addicted to the caffeine.. but now I'm definitely water only and feel great!!
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    It hasn't hindered my weight loss any, and I drink lots of Diet Dr. Pepper. :drinker:
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

Would really like to see this scientific data that you speak of....... I have research drinking diet sodas for the past 5 years since a began this journey and have not read one peer reviewed study stating that drinking diet soda in moderate amounts will harm you in any way.....

I have an auto immune disease , diet soda causes inflammation which gives me pain. So it harms me, and I believe with out a shadow of a doubt that it is harmful to others as well. My Rhemy suggested to her other patients that I found that diet drinks cause pain, they stopped drinking it and found the same thing.

Regular soda, with real sugar, in moderation, will not harm you either.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

You've already made exaggerated claims.