How often to adjust calorie targets?

Options
I'm still losing weight at the target I set 20 lbs ago (first 10 lbs were lost with WW). Today MFP advised me to adjust it down to compensate for new weight. Do I really need to as long as I'm still losing weight? For what its worth, it is fairly conservative to begin with, 1390 for my 210 lbs. And I've been able to adhere to that, plus eating back exercise, for 2 months.

Replies

• simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    If you are still losing and happy with the results - why change? I don't see any reason to move the target down until you stop seeing results.

Congrats on your loss so far and good luck!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Some people wait until they weight loss slows to a rate they don't like. (example going from 2lbs a week to 0.5lbs a week)
    Some people adjust with every 5lbs/10lbs/20lbs/etc lost.
    Some people wait for MFP to prompt them to adjust.
    Some people wait for a plateau to adjust.

It's a personal preference.
  • mildammm
    mildammm Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    As your weight goes down, your calorie requirements go down as well. So yes, you should be adjusting your calorie limit as mfp tells you to to maintain the RATE of weight loss. So you will still be losing weight without adjustment, just a tiny bit slower.
  • All4Me2014xx
    All4Me2014xx Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If you are still losing and happy with the results - why change? I don't see any reason to move the target down until you stop seeing results.

^^This - was going to say the same thing.
  • Mnecka
    Mnecka Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Agreed 100%!!! I don't change anything until I stop seeing results.
  • outtamebiscuit
    outtamebiscuit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Personally, and I've seen a trainer mention it in a blog (if I can find the link I'll come back!!), I wouldn't adjust if you are still losing weight, there's no sense taking away calories away and making it harder for yourself if you don't need to!

Adjusting your calories would be something you could look at if you plateau for a few weeks, 3 maybe even 4 (specifics are in the article that I'm hoping I can find!!)

I don't go by MFP calories anyway, I don't have a reliable formula myself though I have seen other people mention TDEE before, I eat about 400 more calories than MFP recommends and I'm still losing weight! This was worked out for me by a trainer though so I can't work out yours, but MFP usually gives very cautious estimates I have found!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I'm still losing weight at the target I set 20 lbs ago (first 10 lbs were lost with WW). Today MFP advised me to adjust it down to compensate for new weight. Do I really need to as long as I'm still losing weight? For what its worth, it is fairly conservative to begin with, 1390 for my 210 lbs. And I've been able to adhere to that, plus eating back exercise, for 2 months.

slightly bemused here.
    mfp auto dropped my cal goal as i lost weight in last 9 weeks.
    started at 1640. now. 1480. with similar targets to yours.
    maybe its based on end total as we both have a lot to go?
    plus, i only ever eat back max30%. of exercise cals as mfp notoriously overevaluates burn.
    hope this helps.
    g luck.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    MFP changed my settings a week ago. I just had to re-adjust my settings because I had no energy at the 1420 was below my BMR. Lost 2 lbs. this morning.
    I wouldn't adjust unless you change your settings. 1420 was sedentary no exercise. Now I'm sedentary with 5 days 30 minutes of exercise 1640.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't adjust if you are still losing weight, there's no sense taking away calories away and making it harder for yourself if you don't need to!

^agree!

You are eating at a pretty low calorie goal as it is.
    Going any lower too soon might just backfire on your progress. Only adjust when you feel you need to.

21525558.png
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll just keep going at this as long as it works.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    If I seem like I am not making progress on my running speed and/or weight training/strength building.

29509743.png