How often should I be weighing in?

Options
Hello! I am just starting my weight loss journey and was wondering how often everyone weighs themselves. Lately I have been doing so daily but found that I begin to get obsessive over the number on the scale.

What is a good time frame for weighing yourself to track progress?

Replies

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    No more than twice a month. Log your food and exercise daily. Good Luck

29509743.png
  • mundaycarroll
    mundaycarroll Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I usually will weigh myself once a week on the same day each week. Sometimes I'll go 2 weeks in between weigh ins. I used to be really bad about getting on the scale multiple times a day though.
  • BEVERLYSTEEN
    BEVERLYSTEEN Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I aim for once a week to keep myself on track but I agree it can get obsessive and I have to pull myself away when I get the urge to do it more than twice a week.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Whatever you want... I log my weight daily.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't obsess over it you can weigh yourself whenever you want I suppose. Once a week is generally recommended but lots of people do unofficial weigh ins all the time.
  • LadyGisborne
    LadyGisborne Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. It is part of my routine. I don't panic because of the water weight fluctuations.
    I only log my weight once a week.
  • Justamom410
    Justamom410 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I weigh whenever I want...but I only record the weight on Friday mornings weigh in.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I was weighing myself once a week on Tuesday mornings. This was with my old scale - the kind with the manual arrow... Until I started to hate that it was ALL over the place.

Then I bought my Eat Smart Precision Plus scale (Digital).
    Since I have this, I have been weighing myself every morning - because I like to see the small changes (the 0.4 lbs or whatever) showing.

I like the daily look at what is happening, and I can use the numbers to see on my MFP chart the ups and downs, and to get an average.
    For me this week my TOM is due.. but I have been losing anyway, so I am quite happy! I would not of noticed any change with my old scale though...
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. Yes, the number on the scale fluctuates. But I find that I'm more likely to keep myself on track throughout the day and week if I have an idea of what I'm weighing and how I'm progressing. I think the important thing is that I don't get hung up on seeing the fluctuations or obsess over it if I see a small gain. You can do whatever feels best for you. There's no right or wrong way.
  • trixibelle_
    Options
    I weigh myself sporadically, but aim to do it once a week and no more frequently than that. I'm the same as you - if i do it every day I obsess over it and it can affect my mood.
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, mostly out of curiosity about how when and what I eat affect daily weight and keep a loose eye on any wacky changes. Most scales have +-0.5 lb accuracy and water weight can flux way more than that (up to 3-4 pounds for me), so if you think you'll obsess over minute changes, do NOT weigh daily - it's meaningless. Weight and fat loss that stays off is earned over a long period of time - months, not days.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    When ever feels right for you?

Beyond the scale, make sure you do measurements!!! Prob. more important than the scale!! IMO
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i try to limit it to every 2 weeks but rarely stick to that, except righrt now my scale battery is dead soo i cant at all im also trying get back into measuring myself every 2 weeks
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Every day that I'm home. The more often I weigh, the more in-tune I get with my daily fluctuations, and the less emotional weight I put on the scale weight. It gets easier to correlate the minor ups and downs with things in my diet/exercise regimen that might cause them.

Then that info gets fed into a spreadsheet that does basic analysis and trending, because I'm a tremendous nerd.
  • majigurl
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. Yes, the number on the scale fluctuates. But I find that I'm more likely to keep myself on track throughout the day and week if I have an idea of what I'm weighing and how I'm progressing. I think the important thing is that I don't get hung up on seeing the fluctuations or obsess over it if I see a small gain. You can do whatever feels best for you. There's no right or wrong way.

I'm like you. Every morning! I can't help it.. Would I recommend it? Nope lol. I know I'm crazy.. I don't like spreading my crazy around XD But if it works for others.. then weigh daily XD

So true.. no right or wrong.
  • majigurl
    Options
    Every day that I'm home. The more often I weigh, the more in-tune I get with my daily fluctuations, and the less emotional weight I put on the scale weight. It gets easier to correlate the minor ups and downs with things in my diet/exercise regimen that might cause them.

Then that info gets fed into a spreadsheet that does basic analysis and trending, because I'm a tremendous nerd.

Yes! I'm this way also!!!
  • jim_just_jim
    jim_just_jim Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Every day, first thing in the morning. That way, if I have a good number, Im in a good mood, a bad number and I have something to focus on !
    Trying to stay positive ! Looking for like minded friends. Looking to lose 50 by next summer. Down 10 so far.
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day too. One thing it has taught me is that having an occasional big splurge really doesn't affect my weight.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, interesting to see what effect different foods have on my weight etc.

When I get to maintenance and settle down I'll probably go over to once a week.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Personal preference.

I weigh daily after i get up and gone to the bathroom.