Veggetti

Options
So I just bought myself this As-seen-on-tv product called the Veggetti (yes, I know, horrible name choice), and I'm really excited about it! Its a spiral slicer that perfectly cuts zucchini or yellow squash into spaghetti or linguine shaped noodles. Has anyone tried it? I'm planning on using it for the first time this weekend to make a healthy "pasta" bolognese.

Replies

• bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i have one - i got mine at bed bath & beyond. its not bad. reminds me how i need to pick up some zucchini :bigsmile:
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Yes I have one! .. but I haven't used it yet. I need some recipes for it...
  • catelabow
    catelabow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I love mine! Don't use it all the time, but zucchini makes a great pasta substitute.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I have that exact same one. I bought one like it off of amazon, lost it, and that one was cheaper. I like how it has recipes in the little book that it came with. I personally love it. I don't ALWAYS want to eat pasta with pasta type dishes. ANd sometimes calorie wise I can't afford it, or don't want to use that many calories because I want ice cream later. THe biggest thing I can say is DO NOT over cook the zucchini. Then you're just eating mooshy "noodles'
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I have one, I have given them to family. I love mine!
    My lunch almost every day is a medium zucchini made into zoodles, tossed with lemon juice and olive oil. Then mixed with grilled chicken.

I agree with not overcooking them. They go from filling the sauté pan to almost one serving. Think of what happens to spinach, almost the same thing.

I also use English cucumbers and mix it with the zucchini.

Yummy stuff!!!
  • dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My Mom is fighting cancer and eats essentially a doctor prescribed modified version of paleo... Her spirilizer opened so many doors for us meal wise! Sweet potatoes and zucchini are the best! Avocado based pesto sauce, Sugar free homemade marinara, so good! It can cut so many calories out of hearty meals! I need to buy one for my house!
  • Reddirtblacktopqueen
    Options
    Love mine! Made chicken parmagiana last week and it was a hit. :smile:
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips about not overcooking! I looked it up and it seems about 3-5 minutes of steaming on higher heat should do the trick. And the tip about vegetable shrinkage was a good one. I didn't think about that. I was going to use one zucchini and one yellow squash, but maybe I'll add in another zucchini just to make the meal a little larger.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I have one and found it difficult to clean. I stopped using it and instead used a vegetable peeler. (I'm lazy...) I ended up getting a spiralizer as a birthday gift - it's a much larger contraption, but is a million times easier to use and has different blades too. In any case, making zucchini noodles is my favourite thing ever!!
  • Boccellin
    Options
    I have one and found it difficult to clean. I stopped using it and instead used a vegetable peeler. (I'm lazy...) I ended up getting a spiralizer as a birthday gift - it's a much larger contraption, but is a million times easier to use and has different blades too. In any case, making zucchini noodles is my favourite thing ever!!

I figured there would be some kind of hitch, it was only 15 after all. I too am lazy when it comes to dishes :tongue: if I end up really liking the veggie noodles and want to make them a staple, I might look into a spiralizer.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    So I just bought myself this As-seen-on-tv product called the Veggetti (yes, I know, horrible name choice), and I'm really excited about it! Its a spiral slicer that perfectly cuts zucchini or yellow squash into spaghetti or linguine shaped noodles. Has anyone tried it? I'm planning on using it for the first time this weekend to make a healthy "pasta" bolognese.

Bought mine from Ross Stores, love it. I can eat pasta every day without worrying about too much carbs.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like mine. I'm not sure it's really worth the $$ though, I mean... you could just slice the zucchini. It wouldn't taste look like pasta, sure, but really, does it matter? Ok, the kids find it more fun, so they're more likely to eat it, I guess it's a plus...

I do however eat more zucchini now. I haven't tried it on anything else yet though.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

I figured there would be some kind of hitch, it was only 15 after all. I too am lazy when it comes to dishes :tongue: if I end up really liking the veggie noodles and want to make them a staple, I might look into a spiralizer.

Yeah, honestly, although it is tons of fun and the zucchini comes out much more like a "noodle," I probably wouldn't have shelled out the money for the spiralizer myself. It was a gift. Although looking on amazon, I'm pretty sure I paid just as much for my veggetti and one could for a spiralizer (ie. not the one from william sonoma...).

Either, way, enjoy your zucchini noodles!
  • kaspatore
    kaspatore Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    ZOODLES! I love it. My recommendation for cooking is to spiralize, salt, wait 20 mins, rinse and wring out in a dish towel. You can even dry out in the oven for a few minutes. Cook in a saute pan for a few minutes, then sauce it up. The texture comes out much less mushy than cooking straight from cut since you are drawing out the water trapped internally.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have a spiralizer - I love it and use it once a week or so. My suggestions and a recipe can be found here: http://www.butterisnotacarb.com/zoodles-and-meat-sauce/

Also, www.inspiralized.com has really awesome recipes. :)
  • Boccellin
    Options
    ZOODLES! I love it. My recommendation for cooking is to spiralize, salt, wait 20 mins, rinse and wring out in a dish towel. You can even dry out in the oven for a few minutes. Cook in a saute pan for a few minutes, then sauce it up. The texture comes out much less mushy than cooking straight from cut since you are drawing out the water trapped internally.

Thanks for the suggestion! Ill try it this weekend. My biggest concern was getting them too mushy.
  • Boccellin
    Options
    I have a spiralizer - I love it and use it once a week or so. My suggestions and a recipe can be found here: http://www.butterisnotacarb.com/zoodles-and-meat-sauce/

Also, www.inspiralized.com has really awesome recipes. :)

That sauce looks yummy! Thanks for the tip, I'd love new recipe ideas!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion! Ill try it this weekend. My biggest concern was getting them too mushy.

I usually steam mine in a steam pan, that way they do not touch the water.
  • parsonsk64
    parsonsk64 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I bought one last week. I have only used it twice so far. I added it to my pasta because I don't want to eliminate pasta just cut down on it. I also used it to make the squash and zucchini look pretty in my salad. So far I like it and can't wait to try out some more recipes.