Protien before or after a workout

Options
I want to know do I eat protien before I workout or after?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Eat protein any time.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Both.
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Eat protein after workouts as you are feeding the muscles after tearing them down. Continue throughout the day to continue growth
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I usually try to do both, but I work out first thing in the morning and sometimes I just don't want to. I always have some sort of protein for breakfast, though.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Both.

During as well. Nothing says, "I've got this," than hammering a PR while you have some beef jerky hanging out of your mouth.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Unless your workouts are very long or very intense, it doesn't matter. Just make sure you get enough protein in your overall daily intake. I only take a carb/protein recovery drink after bike rides of longer than 2 hours, and not all the time then either.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Nutrient timing doesn't matter, you should be aiming for a protein amount total for the day appropriate to your goals.

If you're concerned about your protein intake (which you should) I would recommend following IIFYM. Generally speaking you should be aiming for 1 gram to .8 grams per pound of body weight. I also recommend that you pick up a beginners heavy lifting program.

By lifting heavy weights and consuming adequate amounts of protein you will mitigate muscle loss when eating at a calorie deficit.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Room temperature cottage cheese before a set of 20 rep squats. Only for the hardcore.
  • drewba13
    drewba13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Long answer: Lots of good articles are available out there to explain what is happening in your body post workout; http://www.active.com/nutrition/articles/get-enough-protein-post-workout

Short answer: Always after, but before or during is fine as well.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Room temperature cottage cheese before a set of 20 rep squats. Only for the hardcore.

..add peaches if you feel like a boss!