Help choosing wedding present for sleeved couple

Options

Replies

• Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the time my ex MIL sought out "autistic" toys for my nephew.

Yep! :noway:

Ummm... my husband has an autistic cousin and there are some 'autistic' toys that definitely work out better for him than not. Maybe not for someone who has a mild case of autism. But it was hard to find something tough - other than an Etch a Sketch that he would break in a day. Searching online to find tough, durable toys that would offer that tactile feedback really helped and he really enjoyed his tangle.

But gift card for Target or Visa for $100 if you don't want to buy off the registry. It will be appreciated.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    For some reason, when you posted this, I thought of a couple with sleeve tats. LOL

What would you buy for YOU? That's how I base my gifts.
  • arose928
    arose928 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Just have to say I am totally against the whole registry thing. No offense to anyone that has had one, or plans to have one. Just my opinion. If I am invited to an event I dont even acknowledge the registry, I give what I want. It offends me to go to a wedding for example, which already may cost me money if I have to buy something to wear, pay for a sitter, gas to get there and its usually far away. Someone I know had one at crate and barrel. To me its just snooty, its like throwing a party and having eveyone else bring a dish. Hate that too! If your having a thing, do the thing, dont put the thing off on everyone else.
    Bring what you want, give what you want, or can, and be done with it.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Why would whether they have had surgery affect what you would give them as a wedding gift?
    They still need kitchen tools, they still cook, they still eat - just smaller quantities.

Get them the ultimate gift: Tupperware to store the leftovers! Is pastel Tupperware still in?
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Amazon gift card -- they have just about everything.......
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Just have to say I am totally against the whole registry thing. No offense to anyone that has had one, or plans to have one. Just my opinion. If I am invited to an event I dont even acknowledge the registry, I give what I want. It offends me to go to a wedding for example, which already may cost me money if I have to buy something to wear, pay for a sitter, gas to get there and its usually far away. Someone I know had one at crate and barrel. To me its just snooty, its like throwing a party and having eveyone else bring a dish. Hate that too! If your having a thing, do the thing, dont put the thing off on everyone else.

A good host and hostess recognize that no gifts are necessary. But many people would like to give gifts, and that's what a registry is intended for. People forget that you shouldn't HAVE to give a wedding gift if you can't afford one. Unfortunately, the people who forget most are the people throwing the wedding...
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    This reminds me of the time my ex MIL sought out "autistic" toys for my nephew.

She sounds charming.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the tattoo thing...LOL

I'm a HUGE fan of (and I know it's not kitchen) but that crocheted thing with thier last name and "established" wedding date on it.

I'm not married but I'd like one, I want it to have my divorce date on it.....because truly I "established" our house on that day!!! LOL.

Sorry that's probaby not of any help.

Sharp knives are always good too. You can't have too many of those.

Funny you should mention sharp knives after talking about your divorce date. LOL
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Money is always good. Then they can get what they want. I didn't register for my wedding and revived mostly cash gifts. It was nice.
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Why would whether they have had surgery affect what you would give them as a wedding gift?
    They still need kitchen tools, they still cook, they still eat - just smaller quantities.

so much of this. What!?

I thought you meant they had tons of tattoos, on first reading. haha

HaHaHa this - totally thought it meant they had full tattoo sleeves...was wondering how that would affect a wedding present. Still not sure how the wedding present is affected after realizing what was actually meant.

I'm a big believer in buying from the registry. They spent time/thought/energy choosing what they need/want from the store where they want it from, plus they can get bonuses and stuff for items being purchased from their registry, and you avoid getting them a duplicate item. They don't need to be spending their first month or so back from honeymoon sorting out items, returning duplicates or items they don't want, need, or have room for, etc. They've got enough going on. Just stick to the registry. If you want to get them something personal as well, that's fine, but in addition to, not instead of. That's just my personal belief.
  • JulieGirl58
    JulieGirl58 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Cash is always a welcome gift.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    The great thing about a registry is you can't go wrong buying anything on it because they're giving you instructions on what to buy.

If they don't have a registry, buy them bath and bedding items because these are necessities.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Please don't listen to this person. I don't know what you already have or what you need. I love the registry. I wish people registered for birthdays, too. It would make my life so much easier.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

Please don't listen to this person. I don't know what you already have or what you need. I love the registry. I wish people registered for birthdays, too. It would make my life so much easier.

Seriously. There's a reason behind registries beyond being "snooty" :noway: . Crazy person.

Buy off the registry. Couple is happy. Done.

ETA: I am also one of those who clicked on the thread thinking it was a question for a tattoo-sleeved couple lol
  • wolfstlkr
    Options
    I didn't know which forum to put this in, so I hope it's okay here.

A relative we've never met but want to send a gift to is getting married. She and her groom have both had weight loss surgery. I've looked at their registries and it seems their needs run the gamut when it comes to kitchen tools. We like to give nice pots and pans and the like. Is there something specific that would be good? I'm wondering about a nice enameled cast iron grill pan but since none of us (the family members going in on the gift) have had surgery we don't know.

We want to spend about $100. Ideas?

And advice is greatly appreciated.

I think your idea of a enameled cast iron grill pan is a great idea. I have 2 different size le creuset enamled cast iron pots and a pan by them that is a standard cast iron cooking surface but enameled everywhere else. Since I started dieting I have noticed I cook a lot more and pay way more attention to the quality of food both in taste and nutrition. It is much easier to maintain a even cooking surface with these than normal pans. They are also not suspectable to warping. I have warped 3 calphon pans before switching to enamled cast iron. They are harder to clean but well worth it in the end. I highly recommend the le creuset brand. Finnaly if they do not appreciate it right now they will later.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm sleeved and the only thing I use differently is I eat my food from salad or dessert plates. I still use all the same kitchen tools as before I was sleeved. I can't speak for ALL types of weight loss surgery, but with getting sleeved, the only thing that changes is that you eat smaller portions. You of course want to eat healthy foods but you don't have to eat anything "special" just because you're sleeved. All of the weird foods are only during the first 6-12 weeks while your stomach is healing. During this time you need to eat purees or soft foods, etc, but once your stomach is healed you should eat a normal balanced healthy diet.
  • Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options

so much of this. What!?

I thought you meant they had tons of tattoos, on first reading. haha

I thought same thing lolz
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I thought this was for tatted up folks, but I stand corrected.

Throw a dart at the registry like everyone else who is socially pressured into buying wedding gifts for people.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'd just choose something from their registry for that approx. amount. I wouldn't agonize over it.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I was thinking sleeved, as in tattoos.