Peroneus Brevis pain

Options
Every time I try and walk I start having outer lower calf pain. I looked it up and it appears to be the peroneus brevis. It's the muscle used when walking on uneven surfaces. I guess this makes sense since I stopped walking on my little paved path and started walking the sidewalks around town!

I can't even walk 5 minutes now because the pain becomes unbearable! I'll have to stop walking and wait until the pain stops before I can even start exercising again unless I can use the elliptical w/o the pain.

Has anyone had this before and are there certain stretches you can do to make sure the pain doesn't return after it's healed.

Replies

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Does the pain extend into your foot at all, or is it strictly in your calf? I am getting over cuboid syndrome right now, which is also from uneven terrain. It's a foot pain, but the physiotherapist I saw told me it is because the muscles in the side of my leg (like where yours hurts) were tight and pulled the cuboid out of place.

Take a couple days off, resting it as much as you can (work upperbody if you still want to do something) Ice it and take some ibuprofen to bring down any inflammation. Try the elliptical and/or stationary bike - if it doesn't hurt, use those.

After a couple days rest, try walking - shorter distances to give it a chance to strengthen up again. If it still hurts, you may want to make a physiotherapy appointment and see what they suggest.
  • RebeccaMae1983
    RebeccaMae1983 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Does the pain extend into your foot at all, or is it strictly in your calf? I am getting over cuboid syndrome right now, which is also from uneven terrain. It's a foot pain, but the physiotherapist I saw told me it is because the muscles in the side of my leg (like where yours hurts) were tight and pulled the cuboid out of place.

Take a couple days off, resting it as much as you can (work upperbody if you still want to do something) Ice it and take some ibuprofen to bring down any inflammation. Try the elliptical and/or stationary bike - if it doesn't hurt, use those.

After a couple days rest, try walking - shorter distances to give it a chance to strengthen up again. If it still hurts, you may want to make a physiotherapy appointment and see what they suggest.

It is all in my outer calf but today my ankles are slightly swollen. When I tried walking today and it started to hurt I noticed it was causing my foot to turn in so I was walking on the outsides of my feet. The pain stops pretty quickly after I stop walking it is just a tight feeling and a burning once it starts and I can't finish my walk.

I have a Piyo dvd I have been meaning to try out maybe that will help and be a good substitute until I can walk without pain again.