Frozen spinach in smoothie!

Options
Just thought I'd share an idea:

I enjoy a meal replacement smoothie w/ MRM protein powder nearly every day. I cram it full of whole foods like raspberries, bananas, almond butter and greens. I've often wondered if I could put frozen spinach in the smoothie rather than fresh, and I finally had the nerve to try it today.

It was great! For me, a tasteless addition, and it made the smoothie nice and cold and thick. So when I don't have fresh greens, I now have a backup plan. Anyone know if frozen spinach is cooked or raw?

Replies

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    Just thought I'd share an idea:

I enjoy a meal replacement smoothie w/ MRM protein powder nearly every day. I cram it full of whole foods like raspberries, bananas, almond butter and greens. I've often wondered if I could put frozen spinach in the smoothie rather than fresh, and I finally had the nerve to try it today.

It was great! For me, a tasteless addition, and it made the smoothie nice and cold and thick. So when I don't have fresh greens, I now have a backup plan. Anyone know if frozen spinach is cooked or raw?
    I believe it's blanched, but I don't know for sure.
  • bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    great tip. bump.
  • 8sep2014
    8sep2014 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Frozen spinach is blanched. It wouldn't be suitable for anything other than cooking...until now! I put three cups of fresh spinach in my smoothie every morning. Never thought about keeping a box of frozen on hand...thanks!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. I put all kinds of frozen veggies in my smoothies...

Frozen spinach
    Frozen broccoli
    Frozen asparagus
    Frozen kale
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It's blanched. I'm allergic to raw spinach but can eat cooked fine and never had issues with frozen spinach.