Calf pain when using treadmill

FitnessTim
FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
A couple of weeks ago I purchased a treadmill. I'm a fairly active and fit person but I've always avoided any kind of high impact exercise like running. The thing is that I can't really push myself with an elliptical or stationary bike so I broke down and decided to try running on a treadmill.

I love using the treadmill. There is a freedom of movement you can't get with other machines. I can really get a good workout from it and it feels great.

My only problem is that I have weak calves and then tend to give out before my lungs do. It has been years since I've ever really been exhausted. I hear about runners giving it their all and being totally spent after a race. I can't get there because my darn calves are screaming before I finish running 2 miles.

I'm sure I just need to give my calves some time to adjust and maybe do some calf exercises. I'm wondering if anyone has had problems with their calf muscles when running.

Replies

• roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Give it time. They need to strengthen up. Try jump rope. Or plyometric training.
  • FitnessTim
    Give it time. They need to strengthen up. Try jump rope. Or plyometric training.

Six months ago I would have scoffed at the idea of plyometric training but now I realize that is what my workouts have been missing. Sure, I'm strong and I look good but I don't have that explosive power I did when I was doing martial arts.

Thanks for the advice.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    yes, I have the exact same problem. My lungs feel great, but calves burn out ... so quickly!! It's frustrating. I'm trying to build up my legs and I've been doing a lot of lower body workouts. I also tried walking at a quick pace on the treadmill before running so that i could build up to that as well. They feel stronger but I still haven't got there just yet.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Make sure to stretch really well before and after! It will help.
  • FitnessTim
    yes, I have the exact same problem. My lungs feel great, but calves burn out ... so quickly!! It's frustrating. I'm trying to build up my legs and I've been doing a lot of lower body workouts. I also tried walking at a quick pace on the treadmill before running so that i could build up to that as well. They feel stronger but I still haven't got there just yet.

I can walk at a quick pace indefinitely with little to no soreness. The fastest I can walk before I have to run is like 5 mph. I imagine it must look silly but I seem to be built for fast walking. As soon as I switch to running I got maybe 10 minutes before the calves start screaming for me to quit.

Frustrating is the right word. I thought a couple of weeks and I would be all set but it is taking longer than I expected. Thanks for sharing. Time will resolve this but I needed to complain.
  • FitnessTim
    Make sure to stretch really well before and after! It will help.

Thanks but I have been, especially the calves. It's my fault really for not developing them along with the rest of my routine in the past.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Make sure you stretch really well. One super good one for the prevention of shin splints is a can on floor and use your foot to roll the can out away from you then back in. Also curb stretches.

Good luck and I'm sure that you'll find with time you'll get stronger and stronger. :)
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Stretch very well after every run.
    One technique you might wish to try is adding walk intervals in between your running intervals to let the calves recover a bit. It would allow you to a bit father and help to train those legs to put up with longer distances!
This discussion has been closed.