Has anyone tried Rasberry ketone, Im thinking about it?

Options
Hi after a month of dieting and exercising I have done nothing but put on weight although I know the hard slog is the only way to do it right has anybody tried and supplements that have gave them a bit of a kick start?

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Nothing kick starts weight loss but being in a calorie deficit.

I would check your logging accuracy, not overestimating calorie burns from exercise.

The only thing I would invest money in would be an electronic food scale. That is the only thing I ever spent money on for my weight loss. Use it to weigh solid foods, only use measuring cups for liquids.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    A lot of people did it when it was a fad. There is no evidence that it works.

I keep hearing that Green Tea Extract does work. It's the first thing in a long time (since Fen-Phen) that has me waiting to hear if there is anything to it. Also wondering if there will be dangerous side effects.

Eating right and exercising is still the best way to be healthy and thin. Old, boring and not complicated, but it works. :)
  • Hilary1471
    Options
    I would be consuming no more than 1800 cals a day and that is only when I have burnt off calories walking or cycling otherwise it is under 1300, I have tried jogging but the backs of my legs are in a bad way from it, I think I will have to stick to the walking. I have a young son who is normally in the buggy when I'm doing my laps round the park so I can not normally do more than 2 1/2 miles before he cracks up looking to go home. I have tried the green tea caps, cant say Ive noticed any difference.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I don't do any other activity outside of my day to day taking care of two kids and weightlifting 3x a week. It's calories in vs out, exercise is for fitness. So, you log every single bite, don't take cheat days and weigh your solids and measure your liquids?

Supplements, even IF they did work, are a crutch and are in no way sustainable or worth investing time in.

What is worth investing time in yourself. Give yourself more than a month to find the right calorie amount. Also, weight loss will not be linear. Your body fluctuates as much as 5 lbs in a single day and 3 lbs from one day to the next. You're looking for a trend over many weeks. This is a game of patience

ETA: this is a great read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • irisheyes321
    irisheyes321 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have tried these for the last two weeks and they did not do anything for me :(
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Are you actually weighing and measuring your food to be sure you're eating 1800?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I would be consuming no more than 1800 cals a day and that is only when I have burnt off calories walking or cycling otherwise it is under 1300, I have tried jogging but the backs of my legs are in a bad way from it, I think I will have to stick to the walking. I have a young son who is normally in the buggy when I'm doing my laps round the park so I can not normally do more than 2 1/2 miles before he cracks up looking to go home. I have tried the green tea caps, cant say Ive noticed any difference.
    2.5 miles of walking would burn a lot less than 500 calories, for most people. Is that what MFP estimates for you? Another estimation from Runners World is .3 x weight in lbs. x miles, though I think that's a bit under-estimating and I might go with .45, for a net burn. Those would suggest I burn 115-170 for 2.5 miles (net of BMR). Even using .45, that'd suggest you'd have to be over 400lbs. to burn 500 calories.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Quick looking for a magic pill - get your diary accurate, eat at a calorie deficit and the weight will come off. Log everything you eat - weigh the solids, measure liquids, make sure your exercise calories are accurate.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1. If diet pills worked, then everyone would be skinny.
    2. Based on the history of these types of post, you should see some funny gifs. Don't be offended, it's a normal reaction when it comes to diet fads.
    3. Take the money you would spend on the pills and buy a food scale
    4. Track your food every day for 4 to 6 weeks and see how your results are.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm ashamed to admit that I've tried both the raspberry ketones and the green tea pills on separate occasions. One bottle of each was purchased and consumed according to directions to no effect that I could tell. It's just a waste of money, don't bother.

I have to echo the advice to double-check your calorie counting. Be sure you are accurately weighing or measuring and then logging everything you put in your mouth. Everything. The little nibbles of your child's food, the sticks of gum, etc. all of that adds up over time.

A 2.5 mile walk will not burn much over 200 calories (depending on your body mass) so if you're eating an extra 500 calories on the days you walk that could certainly be part of the problem.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

I keep hearing that Green Tea Extract does work.

I'm pretty sure people were talking about these even before the raspberry pills. I think if they really worked, raspberry pills never would have become a fad.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Save your money.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Those pills don't work. They're completely useless.

Save your money.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I would cut out a lot of the added sugar you've been consuming. That should help.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I've been putting fresh raspberries in my smoothies and protein drinks. They add a nice tang that I enjoy. Give them a try while they're in season.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Snake oil, I'm sorry to say. Just another way to line Dr Oz's pockets.