Anyone have or having neck surgery ?

Options
Hi,

Ive been suffering from stiff necks for over 10 years. A couple MRIs and Xrays and dr visits, Ive tried physical therapy, chiropractic, etc with some results. Weight going up and down with pain. Right now weight is way up and neck pain in constant.

Ive decided to go to a laser spine surgery center and have my disks worked on.

Just wondering if anyone has been thru this and how has it effected your life ?

Thanks for any responses.

Replies

• MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Not had it but wanted to wish you all the best. Hope it can all be fixed.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Is there anything structurally wrong? I understand chronic pain (I had three different procedures on my shoulder a year ago, and I'm still messed up in my thoracic and cervical regions), but it's a scary proposition to go in for any reason. My father had a spinal fusion two years ago, and he is worse off now than he was before. Most surgeons will give you a 50/50 chance of things getting better, sometimes not even that high. Again, I understand pain and how it limits you, but take this into serious, serious consideration. I'm in more pain now than I was before surgery, and I required it to even raise my arm. Have you seen an osteopath who specializes in spinal issues? I would suggest that over a chiropractor any day of the week. He linked a lot of my pain to C1 and C2 being in a constant locked position. Also, prednisone injections to the neck and traps helped me TREMENDOUSLY. Best of luck to you.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    Options
    Is there anything structurally wrong? I understand chronic pain (I had three different procedures on my shoulder a year ago, and I'm still messed up in my thoracic and cervical regions), but it's a scary proposition to go in for any reason. My father had a spinal fusion two years ago, and he is worse off now than he was before. Most surgeons will give you a 50/50 chance of things getting better with regard to most spinal procedures, sometimes not even that high. Again, I understand pain and how it limits you, but take this into serious, serious consideration. I'm in more pain now than I was before surgery, and I required it to even raise my arm. Have you seen an osteopath who specializes in spinal issues? I would suggest that over a chiropractor any day of the week. He linked a lot of my pain to C1 and C2 being in a constant locked position. Also, prednisone injections to the neck and traps helped me TREMENDOUSLY. Best of luck to you.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    Options
    Ha, I quoted myself instead of edited. See the latter response for the edit :)
  • mich667
    Options
    Hi,
    After years of migraines and neck pain I had fusion surgery in 2003. Unfortunately physical therapy and injections did nothing for me. The surgery worked great, but 2 years later I was having daily migraines and pain from 2 more disks in my neck. I was facing another surgery. I was always very skeptical of chiropractors, but finally decided to try it before having another surgery. That was the best decision I have ever made. Hardly ever get headaches, almost no pain and no longer need surgery. I also have fibromyalgia, arthritis and degenerative disc disease. I can't belive the quality of life I have gotten back since seeing a chiropractor. If you have a Chiro One place by you, you might want to try them. They do more than just give you an adjustment and then you leave. They have a whole system to get you feeling better. I know not everyone wants to trust Chiropractors, but I didn't want to before either.
  • jim_just_jim
    jim_just_jim Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi, just wanted tot hank those of you that replied. IDK if you will even see this response the way the meesage boards work but long story short - my C5 had a spur growth underneath pinching nerve on my left side. Dr used minimal invasive ( no cutting muscle ) surgery to remove spur. Been 99% reduction in pain. Unfortunately 12 weeks of recovery time are driving me batsh*t in my house. Can even lift a gallon of milk. But sleeping regular again and looking forward to spring/summer 2015 !!!