Meatless Meat Question

Options
If meat is so bad, why do people continue to make food that tastes like meat??? :huh:

tumblr_msii709hNG1rjt9w2o1_500.gif
n51vsj.jpg

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    when-my-coworkers-ring-tone-on-her-new-phone-is-the-same-tone-i-use-as-my-alarm-clock-22465.gif
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    If meat is so bad, why do people continue to make food that tastes like meat??? :huh:

tumblr_msii709hNG1rjt9w2o1_500.gif
    n51vsj.jpg

I've wondered this before.. I think it is for those who are meatatarians that are trying to convert.

It's like the slide into alcoholism. When you are a kid, you drink crap like peppermint schnapps and Boone's farm. You work your way into the sweet drinks. Once you begin to like the buzz and start getting used to the alcohol taste, you just bump up to 151 and everclear.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    They don't. They make food that tastes like disappointment.

tumblr_mzvzexqo4U1qzwhb0o1_400.gif
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I understand if someone likes the taste of meat and is vegan for ethical reasons. Other than that I don't know. I have a cousin who is vegetarian for "health reasons" and eats all those processed faux meat things. If I was concerned about eating healthy I'd pick healthier meat over processed pretend meat.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    same reason they make "virgin" drinks? which is to say "i have no idea why they would do that."
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Meatless Meat makes me sad...

I tried "chicken patties" that were actually chickpeas once... It was dry like the sahara... never again.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    My brother is a vegetarian because of some GI issues he was having. He feels better on a vegetarian diet. So he eats meat flavored stuff because he misses eating real meat.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Xn3P_460.jpg
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    My brother is a vegetarian because of some GI issues he was having. He feels better on a vegetarian diet. So he eats meat flavored stuff because he misses eating real meat.

Okay THAT makes sense. I've always wondered.
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    I tend to prefer the "meat alternatives" that aren't masquerading as meat. I'll eat a black bean burger any day of the week, but I usually pass on meatless hamburger patties. There are some pretty good garden burgers out there, that have patties made of all different kinds of vegetables... those are great!

Fake meat, that's supposed to imitate the real thing, usually misses the mark in my opinion.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I tend to prefer the "meat alternatives" that aren't masquerading as meat. I'll eat a black bean burger any day of the week, but I usually pass on meatless hamburger patties. There are some pretty good garden burgers out there, that have patties made of all different kinds of vegetables... those are great!

Fake meat, that's supposed to imitate the real thing, usually misses the mark in my opinion.

I like you. Solid answer without getting riled up. Thank you for sharing.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    same reason they make "virgin" drinks? which is to say "i have no idea why they would do that."

Well, I get virgin drinks because I can no longer drink alcohol. I don't get meatless meat because, although I can no longer eat beef and pork, meatless meat tastes like they used the *kitten* of whatever plant they decided might kind of taste like meat and rubbed some dirt on it.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Meat tastes great but they don't want to consume the flesh of animals because it weighs on their conscience
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    My sister is the opposite. Was vegetarian and during her pregnancy had to go back to meat due to healh issues (doctors orders). Now she goes to a farm that raises animals ethically and slaughters her own food.
  • NurseGetHealthy216
    Options
    Xn3P_460.jpg
    Lmfao I'm a strict vegan and this made me spit out my water :laugh:
    I don't buy into the "meatless" meat because it's usually really processed but I know some who love it because it makes them feel "normal". It's not for everyone
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    My wife's mostly vegetarian - she does eat some fish. We mostly cook one single meal and we "supplement" since I'm lactose intolerant. So we make say pasta - she adds cheese, I add bacon.

We have stopped eating most meat replacement products because they are horrid in taste and texture. Vegetarian food can be delicious - tofu can be great, seitan can be great, grilled vegetables can be great, gazpacho can be great, etc. They don't need to taste like chicken.

So we don't buy the horrid cardboard soy burgers anymore - I simply make her (and myself) some almond/bean/carrot patties. They are delicious.
  • NurseGetHealthy216
    Options
    We don't buy the horrid cardboard soy burgers anymore - I simply make her (and myself) some almond/bean/carrot patties. They are delicious.
    Those burgers sound yummy!! ????????????
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I understand if someone likes the taste of meat and is vegan for ethical reasons. Other than that I don't know. I have a cousin who is vegetarian for "health reasons" and eats all those processed faux meat things. If I was concerned about eating healthy I'd pick healthier meat over processed pretend meat.

Agree... Tofuti bacon.... ick.... I think they call it Smart Bacon...
  • KrazyDaizy
    KrazyDaizy Posts: 815 Member
    Options

^^^^ This for me, too, plus, I am a pescatarian so I can get my intake from a lot of fish, eggs, dairy, etc.

I agree the fake meat tastes like dirt and yuck.
    tumblr_lj7ofvYKHy1qignq2o1_5001_zpsb07b41f6.gif
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I agree with preferring the vegetarian alternatives that don't try to be meat - like black bean burgers, or having baked tofu instead of fake meat slices on sandwiches. I like the taste of those 137% more than fake meat. :smile:

However, I do sometimes eat those meat alternatives mainly because they tend to be ridiculously high in protein. I don't eat them because I want "meat replacement" in my mouth, I eat them because I want protein in my body, and sometimes they're a good way to get lots of protein without lots of calories. :drinker: