My dog is the worst exercise partner

Options
Today is beautiful!! I woke up early due to the fact that I needed to get my 130 pound great dane/bull mastiff out of the house so the maid could clean. Normally, I shut her in the computer room, but today I decided to take her for a walk. (The computer room really needed a good cleaning.) We walked a 3 mile track at a park near the house. She was so excited!! We jogged a little and walked. We've never walked 3 miles together and I didn't know what to expect. I made sure she drank water along the way and we stopped a few times. She was panting like crazy. I stopped and let her lay down. I put water on her ears and belly. I really thought I was going to kill my dog!! It was a cool morning, not too hot-I think she is just really out of shape.

Finally, we made it back to the car.

I feel so guilty. I really thought she could handle it. It made me sad to realize that she is not a puppy anymore and that her "big butt" could be a serious health concern. I'm going to walk her more often for shorter amounts of time and maybe we can shed our extra pounds together.

Replies

• chimpoco
    chimpoco Posts: 193
    Options
    Today is beautiful!! I woke up early due to the fact that I needed to get my 130 pound great dane/bull mastiff out of the house so the maid could clean. Normally, I shut her in the computer room, but today I decided to take her for a walk. (The computer room really needed a good cleaning.) We walked a 3 mile track at a park near the house. She was so excited!! We jogged a little and walked. We've never walked 3 miles together and I didn't know what to expect. I made sure she drank water along the way and we stopped a few times. She was panting like crazy. I stopped and let her lay down. I put water on her ears and belly. I really thought I was going to kill my dog!! It was a cool morning, not too hot-I think she is just really out of shape.

Finally, we made it back to the car.

I feel so guilty. I really thought she could handle it. It made me sad to realize that she is not a puppy anymore and that her "big butt" could be a serious health concern. I'm going to walk her more often for shorter amounts of time and maybe we can shed our extra pounds together.
  • cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My one year old retriever was like that too. We had a yard and he would play like crazy if you (or one of the kids) is playing with him. But otherwise, he will just lay around. We moved to an apartment recently, and you would have thought the walks were killing him the first few days. :laugh: He gets 6 to 9 walks a day now and he loves most of them. (The first one in the morning, he would rather stay sleeping). I also take him to the raquetball court to run sometimes, but ofcourse, if we aren't running too, he just lays there and chills.....Dogs are cool :bigsmile:
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    My labs do the panting thing every time - and they should be in shape and used to it after 2 years. From what I've heard the panting is normal, just watch for saliva. I was told that it is a bad sign when their tongue is very dry. Have fun getting in shape with your dog. I love running with mine.
  • Aprilxlirpa
    Aprilxlirpa Posts: 46
    Options
    Haha, I read your post title and started laughing. I just said that this morning to a co-worker. My dog is the worst partner too, but for a very different reason.
    I'll start jogging and get into a grove. That's about when she decides she wants to stop and sniff EVERYTHING!!
    I have to keep yanking her along which slows me down and probably doesn't feel that great for her.
    My favorite is when we are out jogging and her leash gets caught around a mailbox. I have to stop then to untangle her.
    She's in the crate enough during the day, so do I crate her for my run time as well, or suck it up that she slows me down??
    (Even on walks!!)
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    My kids and I go for a 1 mile walk every morning and take our dog. He does real well on his walks. Miles is his name and he took right to the walks.

www.ourdogmiles.blogspot.com

Keep up that walking
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    My dog Sam is the alpha male in my house...he tells us when he wants to go for a walk!

When we weight train, he lays right by us and counts reps...te he he!

I can't wear a hip scarf when I practice at home, he thinks I'm playing with him, he plays tug-o-war with my hip scarf and rips it to shreds...he's such a love!
  • chimpoco
    chimpoco Posts: 193
    Options
    Gotta love 'em!!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I wish my dog could go for walks again. :cry:

She's almost 17 now and can't take a walk of any length other than just outside to go potty and then back inside.

That's her on my ticker--that was taken about 8 years ago.

Enjoy walks with your dogs while you can!
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My dogs are the best. They love to go walking and can spell it now too. I started my puppy walking at 7 weeks (she is a year now). My husband loves to take them with him when they go on road marches. Best way to hold a 4mph+ pace. Just keep at it, their endurance will increase with yours. My least fave part, inevitably one if not both will decide to "take care of business" and always away from a trash can. Talk about ruining the ambiance.
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Give your dog time. I trained with my dog for the Chicago Marathon last year. She was horrible at first but now she can run 16 miles with two quick water breaks of course...
  • Adele
    Adele Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have to keep yanking her along which slows me down and probably doesn't feel that great for her.
    My favorite is when we are out jogging and her leash gets caught around a mailbox. I have to stop then to untangle her.

Love the mailbox issue - that is too funny!
  • RunningRatty
    RunningRatty Posts: 161
    Options
    What time of day was it? I see you are from Houston, I am just north near Austin and it's starting to get hot and humid which is tough on dogs...
  • frankp
    frankp Posts: 83
    Options
    My vet said that walking for a dog is about the excercise equivalent of us flipping pages of a magazine. If your dog is healthy, not too old, and the weather is cool, he should be able to walk for hours.
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Props to you for setting out to help your pooch get back in shape!!! :flowerforyou:

Our dogs are young and love to run with us. Unfortunately, one of them has heartworms (he's a rescue dog) and so it makes me overly concerned about whether I'm working him too hard. He LOVES it though so I just can't deny him!

Now, if only I could put the fat cat on a leash and make HIM take a walk with me...
  • kak1018
    kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My chihuahua is a fabulous trainor. He runs five miles a day. My husband and I take turns taking him out, it is adorable he starts stretching as soon as he sees his leash come out. You just never know. It is a great thing to do with CRAZY puppies, we sleep a lot better now.
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My golden retriever loves her walks. In fact, she gets very sad when we don't take her for a walk and looks at us like, "Hey are you forgetting someone?" I took care of my neighbor's dog (who was younger than my dog, and she could barely make it through a walk because she was so out of shape.) They get in shape quickly though if you take them out regularly.