Anyone else have this problem?

Options
You go weeks upon weeks losing tremendous amounts of weight, and then you get on the scale and have gained or not lost anything? Its been happening to me here lately ever since Thanksgiving....I've been taking it really hard aswell....any tips or advice?

Replies

• wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    i havent had this problem yet, but i hope this gets sorted out soon. good luck
  • workoutqueen628
    Options
    You can't expect a huge loss every time you weigh-in. Celebrate your success and don't worry too much. Any weight loss is better than none!! Keep logging your calories, eating the right foods, keeping sodium intake low, exercising, and drinking lots of water. Embrace the fact that weight loss isn't easy- once you overcome this challenge, you can do anything you set your mind to!! Best of luck to you!
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have definitely had some weeks where I didn't lose anything. What I did after a month of no weight loss was increased my calorie intake by 400 calories for a week. I was still at a calorie deficit, so it wasn't like I would gain weight from it. I figured my body was in need of some nutrition, or needed to be reminded that there is plenty of food available or something. I did that for a week, still exercised, still ate healthy, just ate 400 calories worth more. Then I switched back and had no problem losing weight the first week back. Since then I do an increased calorie day one day every two weeks, and that has seemed to keep any sluggishness away.

Good luck!

Oh, PS - Don't take this hard! You are doing AMAZING!!! You've already lost 100 pounds. As you continue to lose weight, things will keep slowing down, but don't be discouraged. Just keep eating healthy, exercising and drinking water, keep up your end of the weight loss bargain, and your body will get back into gear soon enough. Don't forget how much you have already accomplished!!
  • whoamytummy
    Options
    You may have hit the inevitable plateau. It is not bad or something that cannot be overcome, and it is very common in any kind of weight loss or skill development.

Search the web for "busting through weight loss plateau". You will find a lot of resources.

Some of things that I know are:
    1. Change your routine
    2. Increase the intensity of the exercises
    3. Try a completely different exercise, may be take up yoga.
    4. See if you're stressed..stress produces Cortisol and it won't allow weight loss.
    5. take a break from exercises, and keep watching your calories.

Please not that I am not a health care professional, and these are just my personal opinions.
  • shullrd
    Options
    Congratulations on what you've accomplished. Your weight can vary a lot and if you are developing muscle mass you can actually gain some weight in the short term, because muscle is heavier than fat or water. In the long-term, however, more muscle mass will increase your metabolism and help you maintain weight loss. Good luck!
  • CarolynInSC
    CarolynInSC Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I can raise my hand here. I think my scale is broken because for the past several days it says the same number. Someone has told me as long as I am losing a pound/week...take it and be grateful. You could also be plateauing. I added a few minutes to my cardio to bump it up a notch and sometimes that helps. Change exercise routines--increase intensity, weight load, variety--that might help as well.

Most of all...CELEBRATE your progress forward. Hang in there.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Celebrate the weight loss. Despite everything I go weeks and weeks without losing anything, then I will suddenly lose a bit, then stay the same again for 2-4 weeks. I'd rather have your problem than mine!
  • tina8884
    Options
    Yes! I gained about 5 pounds during the week of Thanksgiving and FINALLY was just able to lose that 5 plus a bonus pound too lol It seems like it took forever though!!! I have to be sure not to make the same mistake with Christmas. This time I'm going to familys house instead of having everyone over here and being stuck with all of the leftovers...
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    we all plateau now and then. I went almost 6 weeks without losing anything recently. This past week, I gained 1/2 lb. You just have to be patient and work through. There are some great suggestions on the boards about to get past it.. you have done so well already. Congrats on your amazing weight loss!
  • tishere
    Options
    Try not to worry about it, stick with your plan and hopefully it will work out. That's what happened for me, all of November I lost only 1 pound and it was really un-motivating but so far in December I've lost 6lbs just by sticking with it.
    Good Luck!
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    sometimes the scale can trip you up, my advice 2u is watch ur measurements; are you seeing any results there. keep the faith and dont be discourage. happy holidays
  • crystaldougherty
    crystaldougherty Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! @Tina8884: I gained 6lbs over Thanksgiving, no clue how, watched my intake and what I ate, and even took the kids for a walk with me afterwards, but when I got on that scale I gained, and almost got it off but yesterday I gained 4 more lbs...Maybe its a malfunction with the scale or the operator..

I was reading that you should switch out scales after a period of time? Any clues on whether or not, being no 2 scales read the same?