I want to lose weight but don't like food restrictions

Options
I've been doing paleo for over a month now, but I hate that I can't eat certain foods.

So I'm going to keep my calories from 1,400 to my "Daily Goal " of 1,625 and 8 cups of water or more per day.

I'll be walking every day from 30 minutes to 60 minutes per day and mix in some other exercises along the way. Walking works best for me because I have two dogs that love walking with me.

Will this work?

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    JUST EAT
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I eat the foods I like in my calorie range and have lost weight. I want to have something that I can do long term. Food restrictions won't do that for me (and maybe for some people it will but again, not me) so I just eat less - my biggest problem was portion control (and seriously misjudging what a real serving is and how many calories are in certain foods) and tracking has really helped with that. I want something that is more sustainable for the rest of my life - and food restrictions like no carbs or paleo just wouldn't work for me (I know it works for others but everyone is different). But allowing myself to eat what I like within my calorie goals does work - I don't feel like I am missing out on anything, and if there is something I really want, I just adjust my day to fit it (or my next couple days if needed) - maybe I am just lucky to like foods that are fairly healthy for the most part but I do allow myself a treat every evening (a small cupcake, a couple cookies, or some ice cream usually). You don't have to feel deprived to lose weight.
  • covens04
    covens04 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It might work, but 1625 calories seems too little. What are your goals: lose weight, maintain, bulk up. Figure out goals and then you can figure out calories. Just remember, a 200 pound guy needs about 2000 calories a day (rough estimate), and that's just laying in bed all day not doing anything. Throw in working out for 30-60 mins every day and moving around, and you will be burning a lot of calories. I would up your calories to nearly 200. Let me know if this works. Send a friend request if you need further help!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if it's not something you can see yourself doing forever then it probably isnt for you.

maybe instead of focusing on food restrictiction, try to work on portion control. that way you can eat the same stuff you normally eat, just fit it into your calories.

and 1400-1600 calories? you're going to be passing out like a southern belle. not a good look for dude
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You don't need to cut out any food groups. Calorie deficit works. 1400 is way too low for a man, even 1625 seems too low.
  • TyphonRex
    TyphonRex Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, yes.

Fiddle with your daily intake as you go along, but I lost 140 pounds a few years ago simply by counting calories, eating whatever I wanted - even fast food - as long as I came in under goal, and getting to the gym.

There are merits to certain diets, but strictly speaking they aren't necessary for fat loss in and of themselves (but can be an aid along with helping with other metrics of health).

Eat on, watch your calories, and rock and roll.
  • DeterminedbyGod
    DeterminedbyGod Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It just depend on how much of it you eat. You can eat anything just in smaller portion. I also believes that it also varies with certain diets. I do well with counting calories.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Try if if fits your macros (IIFYM), also known as flexible dieting. Eat anything as long as you hit your macro (and micro) targets.

http://iifym.com/

I also agree that your calorie count sounds a little low. Try the calculator on the IIFYM site to calculate your calorie and macro targets.
  • romanl4
    Options
    I've been doing paleo for over a month now, but I hate that I can't eat certain foods.

So I'm going to keep my calories from 1,400 to my "Daily Goal " of 1,625 and 8 cups of water or more per day.

I'll be walking every day from 30 minutes to 60 minutes per day and mix in some other exercises along the way. Walking works best for me because I have two dogs that love walking with me.

Will this work?
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    yes. its all about calories in.. calories out. i have lost weight without even exercising. it was all about eating my calories. that is whats important. im not into restrictive eating. i eat whatever it is that i want in moderation and within calories. it has always worked for me. you will learn that some things dont fill you up as much.. so then you might choose to change to something else that will leave you full. also, i believe that for each person some foods just react differently to them.. so you will also have to figure out what foods might cause you to gain. (sort of like an allergic reaction... your body for some reason stores that particular food instead of it breaking down)..
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    OP---what is current weight? Your BF(Body Fat) and what are your goals? Weight loss?
  • AuroraD82
    AuroraD82 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Take what you want to eat.... cut it in half... replace half with yummy fresh or steamed veggies. No restrictions, actually just adding another element. This is loose advise, it depends what you want to enjoy eating and how it affects your protein requirements... etc.
    Another thing I have tried is adding chickpeas or beans to something that I'd normally make with ground beef and then use less ground beef. I don't like to use fat free and calorie free and light ingredients, so for me, this works.
  • romanl4
    Options
    I've been at both sides of the scale and I want to tell you that there is nothing better than just simply eat and exercise and if you are walking now and can do it for at least 30 minutes, I would suggest you begin jogging a little bit and try to include high interval training. Do simple HIIT workouts since you are just beginning and don't count calories, just go by how you feel and how your body starts to take shape. Even though I mentioned not to count calories, do eat as clean as you can possibly can. By that I mean do not eat fast or processed foods, instead, try to make your meals at home and if you have short time take one day and cook in bulk so you have enough to carry you through the week. And do not restrict any foods just keep it in small portions and vary your foods.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    What are your stats dude? height, age, weight?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I hate food restrictions also. I have never gave up anything. I just learned moderation. I eat ice cream, cake, candy, whatever, but in moderation. Google iifym.
    I don't know your stats, but that daily calorie goal seems a little low to me ( but again,I didn't look at your profile and don't know your stats or situation)
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    According to the TDEE calculator, using the following stats (I guessed), a 34 year old male who weighs 240 lbs. and is 5'10" and who exercises 3 x per week needs about 2800 calories a day to maintain his weight. If you subtract 20% from this, it's around 2240 calories. You are being overly restrictive! It's not necessary and it's not sustainable.
  • mlcdz
    mlcdz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Wise advice, all. Have you considered intermittent fasting (IF)? I follow the 5:2 plan. 2 non-consecutive days a week, I eat a 500 calorie dinner (600 for men), the rest of the week, I eat to my Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) You can find a calculator on IIFYM, mentioned above. I was shocked to find out that I can eat 2000+ calories on my 5 days (more when I work out) and lose weight. It averages out to about 15-1600 calories per day doing it that way and I could NEVER follow that every day if I had to - never have been able to in the past, don't anticipate it changing anytime soon!

There are a couple of 5:2 groups here on MFP and there are others out there too. There are many different forms of IF to try. It's all about finding something you can do for life. I can see myself doing this for the long-term. After the first couple of weeks, it becomes much easier and more doable. The only caution is that you MUST eat to your TDEE on your non-fast days or the whole thing will backfire and you will kick into starvation mode. You even need to have one day every couple of weeks that you don't track - eat whatever you want - this seems to keep the weight loss consistently steady. Best of luck whatever you do, but remember that food is a wonderful gift that we can share with others and nourish ourselves with and it's not the enemy.
  • mandimahoney5
    Options
    Eat what ever you want. I eat 1300 ish a day, walk at least 30 minutes a day if i do not go to the gym.
    Today I ate a McDonalds Cheese burger happy meal, with Apples and coke zero. I was under my Limit also when i got home.

Just make sure you are accountable for what you eat and track it, weight it, ect....
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    h715D17EB