Power rack?

Options
2»

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    depending on what you buy and if you ship, you might get rogue equipment at a competitive price with the rouge shipping offer.

would just recommend that you compare them to whatever alternatives you explore.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    honestly buy quality - i would get one of the rogue racks, make sure it has a high weight limit as well - alot of the shoddier racks have a much much lower max load - you may pay a little more initially but its well worth it in the long run

I have plenty of male friends using $300 racks (one friend bought http://www.amazon.com/New-York-Barbells-C-92563-B-Rack-Black/dp/B009L772A4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410369428&sr=8-1&keywords=ny+barbell+rack and is happy with it) and honestly I haven't really heard much in the way of complaints.

I'm largely with benjammin on this. I just think it's unlikely that every recreational lifter needs a rack rated for over 1000 pounds and built to withstand rigorous use. Don't get me wrong, Rogue definitely makes nice equipment, but that doesn't mean it's worth the investment for every person. For the cost of an entry level Rogue rack and plate set, the OP can get a less expensive rack, craigslist plates, a barbell, a bench and probably a set of adjustable dumbbells as well.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I bought the one listed in this link last year:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PNJHTW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Basically a well built $300 rack. No bells or whistles, which saved me money. Excellent quality. I know it's not available at Amazon now, but you can contact the company directly to see what they have.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    what attracted me the most to the rogue racks, other then the shipping, was the 1 inch spacing on the safety bar. not all of them have that though.

i'm sure there are 300 racks that will do such a good job that you will never know the difference. but the more extras that come with anything at a lower price the more i would suspect the quality.

i just think about how long i expect to use it and the larger price tag doesn't seem as bad. but still, if you would be perfectly happy with a less expensive item, thats the way to go, assuming it lasts
  • parkscs
    Options
    1" spacing is definitely nice. I have 2" spacing on mine and haven't had a problem yet, but more precision is always a nice perk.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    looking at the cheapest on with 1'' spacing ;)

but the more i think about it the less necessairy i think it is. and for certain bodies, it may be of no consequence at all.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

but the more i think about it the less necessairy i think it is. and for certain bodies, it may be of no consequence at all.

Yeah, that's a fair point. Personally, I wouldn't trust a 300# rack, because I wouldn't be able to do a rack pull workout with it, etc. etc, but OP ain't buying for me. ;)

The 1" spacing is a must unless you are lucky and your squat size works with a 2".
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I lift alone. I have for the last year and a half. I have a basic squat rack that I got from Amazon for $100. It has worked fine for me, but I'm not putting up giant numbers.
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Personally I picked up a Weider from crags list. It is in fact a piece of junk, and I wouldn't recommend this praticular one to anyone else, but for now it's still my piece of junk, and I do make the best use out of it.

Might be able to see a little bit of it in my profile pics. it lacks in sturdiness, the cable pulley is a joke and I don't use it. the pull-up bar is about 5 inches too low. I can't do a shoulder press inside of it without banging the inside of the top. and for the worst part the areas where I need the saftey bars the most can't not be placed there to lack of hole settings.

But I did get it for under $100 bucks on crags list which is what i'm getting at. occasionally a really great power rack will get listed up. just have to be a little patient if you're willing to go that route. and if you live within a good metropolitan area than you might have decent listings.

Much luck
  • parkscs
    Options
    Honestly I think people are underestimating how much weight a properly bolted down rack can support, even those that cost about $300. When you see George Leeman doing his work in a $330 rack and people recommending that a 37 year old woman who's pretty new to weight lifting go with a Rogue rack at a minimum, it leaves me scratching my head a bit. Odds are the vast majority of people will never outgrow a $300 rack rated at 700 pounds capacity.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    ... I've seen a few posts that say stay away from brands like Marcy or weider ...

That's because most people on the internet are idiots who parrot whatever is fashionable.

I have a Weider C650 ( http://scene7.samsclub.com/is/image/samsclub/0004361923734_A?$img_size_380x380$ ) that I got on Craiglist for $300 with a TON of weights and some floor mats. There are 2 things wrong with it:

1) If I ever want to be a powerlifter, I'll need to upgrade because I wouldn't trust it to hold more than around 400 pounds. Fortunately, that isn't my goal.

2) The pec deck is made for someone much smaller than me, so I've gotten rid of it.

Otherwise, it's fine. I'm a fairly strong, 6' man, and it does everything I need, including dips. I haven't been to the gym in months, and even then only to use a treadmill or take a class.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a power rack. My chest is just way to small for my body.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    My rack is old and gnarly and well used. The guy before me was squatting 600+ in it. I have done 565 lbs rack pulls in it. I beat the crap out of it. It hasn't broken and every time I drool over a Rogue I can't justify the extra cost. I would like to have the 1" spacing for bench press, but that's all I wish I had.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

Yeah, that's a fair point. Personally, I wouldn't trust a 300# rack, because I wouldn't be able to do a rack pull workout with it, etc. etc, but OP ain't buying for me. ;)

The 1" spacing is a must unless you are lucky and your squat size works with a 2".

should think it would matter a lot more with bench press. wouldn't think an inch would make much difference when it came to safety when performing a squat. if it did then your serriously getting low in your squats and even then you could probably rock foward or back to make contact with the safety cross bar
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    A new $200 rack rated for 300lbs will suit your needs.

I thought this until my squats blew through 225.
  • strong_er
    strong_er Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that the weight ratings are for a static load.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    http://www.titandistributorsinc.com/default/titan-crossfit-power-rack.html

$289, free shipping, ordered tuesday, arrived thursday.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Just think of that 200# load dropped from a half foot. Or more.

Being that I'm a money guy, I don't actually know the formula to figure it out, so I mean it quite literally. Imagine it! ;)
  • Antonhend
    Options
    Check out Powertec full rack or half rack with lat tower
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

good point