Losing weight for confidence

Options
Hi everyone!
Despite this being my introduction, I've been a member of myfitnesspal for over three years now. And that's three years of yo-yo dieting... I am a 27 year old single woman living in Port Stephens, Australia and I weigh, well, too much... I still feel too embarrassed to admit how much that is but I am looking to lose around 50kg (110lbs).

I have struggled with my weight my whole life. Being a naturally introverted person, I was quite socially awkward as a child and never really got into team sports. Instead, I spent most of my time reading, playing games - generally following individual pursuits. I'm not a lazy person but I just can't get into exercise - I find it incredibly boring! Luckily for me I have a job that keeps me fairly active and I never fail to get my 10,000 steps a day. And also thanks to interactive gaming systems and some resistance weights, I've found a way to get some added exercise while keeping my mind occupied.

I'm trying to lose weight for a lot of reasons, like health and fitness, but more importantly I'm doing it for my self-confidence. I'm sad to say that I have let a lot of life's joys slip through my fingers due to my self-image hangups. I've lost too many friendships over my refusals to attend social outings and my love-life is non-existent and has been so for a long time. I hope that by improving my self-confidence, I can gain more friendships, travel, succeed in my career and hopefully find a special guy.

After consulting with my doctor, I've decided to take on the Lite n' Easy (pre-made meals) 1200 calories plan and have a 3 month prescription for Metermine to give me a head-start. Pre-made meals and diet pills are not ideal but I need all the help I can get with my excessive workload. I know what it means to eat healthy and make the right choices, so hopefully with a nice confidence boost to get me in the right head-space, I won't be relying on anything other than myself for too long.

Through myfitnesspal I hope to connect with others out there on similar journeys, or people who have been through theirs already... Or just anyone wishing to share some optimism. (:

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Please don't do what you have proposed.
  • TabithaB2012
    Options
    Hi. This is the first time I have looked at the message boards, but I believe support is definitely the answer. I am a 41 year old mother of 3 living in The US (California) I just started trying again yesterday and I am looking to loose 70 lbs. I understand how work and life can get in the way of making the right choices. I have gained 50 lbs in the last 4 years for this reason, but now it's time to put me first. I am looking to make healthy choices and could use a friend to share the journey with.

I think it is great that you have consulted your doctor and are getting on the right track. I hope to read more about your journey. I'm going to explore more and see if I can figure out how to follow you, or friend you, or whatever it's called. Take care of yourself and remember, one day at a time.
  • voraciouszest
    Options

Thank you, I respect that you may want to give advice and that you are doing it to benefit someone else, but I have looked into this in-depth and consulted a doctor I trust. There is no medical reason why I shouldn't do what I am going to do and for my self-confidence, I need that initial boost.

I'd just like you to know, and others out there too, that positivity and support is the greatest type of help you can give.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options

Thank you, I respect that you may want to give advice and that you are doing it to benefit someone else, but I have looked into this in-depth and consulted a doctor I trust. There is no medical reason why I shouldn't do what I am going to do and for my self-confidence, I need that initial boost.

I'd just like you to know, and others out there too, that positivity and support is the greatest type of help you can give.

110 lbs may seem a lot, but you can easily lose that in one or two years. If you under doctor's supervision then you should be fine. Good luck to you