Whole Foods sued for understating amount of sugar in yogurt

Options
So much for accurate logging. I wonder how many other foods this happens with that we log daily.

http://nypost.com/2014/08/29/whole-foods-sued-for-understating-amount-of-sugar-in-yogurt/

Replies

• Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's quite a difference.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    This isn't what is making us fat. We are making ourselves fat. Don't buy into this as an excuse
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I've been done with Whole Foods for quite some time now. I have to wonder how they plan to stay in business with this added on top of all of their other issues.
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    I've been done with Whole Foods for quite some time now. I have to wonder how they plan to stay in business with this added on top of all of their other issues.
    They'll probably stay in business by continuing to sell a bunch of stuff to the people they've been selling a bunch of stuff to for many years...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    People really sue for anything... The number of carbs on the label was right, as far as I know, so what did people think those carbs came from?
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    People really sue for anything... The number of carbs on the label was right, as far as I know, so what did people think those carbs came from?

^This. Anyone who has ever eaten plain yogurt knows that the carbs in it are naturally occurring milk sugars. If you look at the label and it says it has 7g carbs and 2g sugar (basically, it doesn't add up) and you accept that, you are likely either ignorant (fixable with a little knowledge) or stupid.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Litigation happy USA, this type of lawsuit would be tossed out in 99% of the countries in the world unless the plaintiffs could actually establish that they suffered damages as a result of the inaccurate labeling (that's not to say that the manufacturer might not face some administrative sanctions ie government fines etc)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This. The topic came up here earlier, and as I recall the lawsuit was predicted there.

The reason WF should have caught it is that plain yogurt has more sugar than they were listing, period, because of lactose. Anyone who bought it because they thought they somehow magically had a real milk, super low sugar yogurt was kind of a dope, which is not to say that WF wasn't also at fault.

The idea that there could be any damages is insane, although I expect there's a false labeling cause of action that doesn't actually require damages.

I'm not concerned about my logging, since if you understand at least a little about nutrition and the foods you are logging you don't really have to worry about being off in any huge respect (while also being tolerant of the fact that it's imperfect). Mostly I use the USDA information, and of course there are all kinds of variations that doesn't account for.