I don't really count my calories?

Options
I was counting them for awhile but once I got the general idea then I stopped. It's difficult for me to keep up with it because I get way too competitive. I think that I eat around 1,200 to 1,400 calories a day. I know that might be low for some but I'm a pretty small person 5'0" and some days are less active than others. I basically just eat five to six small meals throughout the day. I just make sure that what I eat is healthy (lean protein, vegetables, fruit, good carbs)) and I don't go to bed hungry. Is it okay that I don't count my calories? I've been losing weight for about a month now. I've lost ten pounds so far (possibly more, I haven't checked the scale in a few days) and have lost a pant size (even though I don't know how because I think my butt still looks the same lol). I'm looking to lose another ten pounds in the next two months and hopefully fifteen more pounds in total. I'd really like to be down to 105 pounds but it really depends on how I look. I don't think I've been losing too fast. I've been walking a lot and doing leg and arm exercises. I'd like more muscle in the future but right now i'm working on getting rid of fat (because there's a lot in my hips, butt and thighs). I've mostly just wanted to change my eating habits and I feel like I have finally found a right combination of eating healthy while also allowing myself some wiggle room. I don't think of it as a diet anymore because I am genuinely okay with all of the foods that I'm eating and I'm not starving or anything.

Replies

• Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I was counting them for awhile but once I got the general idea then I stopped. It's difficult for me to keep up with it because I get way too competitive. I think that I eat around 1,200 to 1,400 calories a day. I know that might be low for some but I'm a pretty small person 5'0" and some days are less active than others. I basically just eat five to six small meals throughout the day. I just make sure that what I eat is healthy (lean protein, vegetables, fruit, good carbs)) and I don't go to bed hungry. Is it okay that I don't count my calories? I've been losing weight for about a month now. I've lost ten pounds so far (possibly more, I haven't checked the scale in a few days) and have lost a pant size (even though I don't know how because I think my butt still looks the same lol). I'm looking to lose another ten pounds in the next two months and hopefully fifteen more pounds in total. I'd really like to be down to 105 pounds but it really depends on how I look. I don't think I've been losing too fast. I've been walking a lot and doing leg and arm exercises. I'd like more muscle in the future but right now i'm working on getting rid of fat (because there's a lot in my hips, butt and thighs). I've mostly just wanted to change my eating habits and I feel like I have finally found a right combination of eating healthy while also allowing myself some wiggle room. I don't think of it as a diet anymore because I am genuinely okay with all of the foods that I'm eating and I'm not starving or anything.

I feel more confident counting calories because it keeps me accountable .Good luck
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I always count my calories, it's the only thing that has worked for me.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you eat healthy food and don't stuff yourself, you can lose without counting. I lost forty pounds before I even considered counting.

Sometimes I count, sometimes not.

Weighing and measuring every bite is a little more obsessive than some people want to be. It keeps others on the right track.

Do whatever works for you. If it stops working, do something else!

Everyone has to walk their own path. :)
  • Adpalangi
    Adpalangi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My calorie counting was what led me to my loss. Don't think I would of done it without the tools to stay in line, and focus on what is important. Which for me was a brand new way of eating...I really try to stay away from processed foods, to eat whole, and organic when I can afford it, lol. Oh I have days where I'm over and some way over on my calories, but by having the tools MFP gives you there is always room for being human and messing up is not a big deal, you can turn to MFP to calculate and plan your meals ahead of time, which holds you accountable. You can juggle things around so that your week comes in meeting your goals, after all.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    My calorie counting was what led me to my loss. Don't think I would of done it without the tools to stay in line, and focus on what is important. Which for me was a brand new way of eating...I really try to stay away from processed foods, to eat whole, and organic when I can afford it, lol. Oh I have days where I'm over and some way over on my calories, but by having the tools MFP gives you there is always room for being human and messing up is not a big deal, you can turn to MFP to calculate and plan your meals ahead of time, which holds you accountable. You can juggle things around so that your week comes in meeting your goals, after all.
    Both my doctor and the nutritionist said there is no evidence that "organic" (whatever the hell it means as food is concerned) is no better than regular old food. It's been on the news, too.

I'm NOT saying that those who like it shouldn't follow their bliss!

But if you want to save money, skip the "organic" food and don't worry about it. :)