Zumba anyone??

Options
Has anyone tried zumba for weight loss? I hear its a real good workout, I want to start next week , but it will be good to hear any success stories with zumba.

Replies

• jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have only taken a couple classes, but I have REALLY enjoyed them. They (depending on the instructor) barely feel like "exercise" in the sense that its FUN, yet it still can burn quite a few calories. As for the amount of calories I don't wear a hrm so I can't say anything concrete but I do wear a fitbit (fancy pedometer) and yesterday when I took the class my fitbit told me I took 9,000 steps in the 55min class. I have seen some of the videos and I don't enjoy them as much as going to a class. Hope this helps!
  • smittysgal7
    smittysgal7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love it! It's a lot of fun and it's a good workout. I've lost over 7 inches in 6 weeks. My instructor also mixes strength training and interval training into our workouts. I go 2 times a week and I walk 2 miles with my son or do 30 minutes of Zumba at home at least 3 days a week. I have to or I'd be really sore from the Zumba class. The scale hasn't moved yet but I can put on Jeans that didn't fit 2 weeks ago, I'm building muscle, I'm losing inches and I feel awesome!
  • jeanamango
    Options
    If you find a class that you love, you could easily lose weight. My sister went 5 days a week to a class that was more booty shaking, rather than salsa-esk, she lost 130lbs in less than a year. Once you pick a class you like, it can be discouraging at first when you cant get the moves right away and you dont feel like youre working out as hard as you could, but stick to it and you'll get used to the music and the moves and you will work your butt off! I've been going to the same zumba class 2 days a week for a month and last night was the first time I felt like I knew all the moves. I felt more confident and worked out so hard! Let me tell you, I will be losing weight. You will too!
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I know a gal who lost 100+ lbs doing Zumba. She loves it. In fact, we call her the Zumba Queen because she's almost fanatical about it now.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Zumba may expedite weight loss marginally, but not by all that much. The average is around 200-300 calories per session, depending on your weight and how long/hard you go at it. Eating at a calorie deficit is the best way to lose weight.
  • cogewea
    cogewea Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a certified Zumba instructor and it really helped me with my weight loss. Depending on the class, you can burn a LOT of calories, but know that different classes have different intensity levels. It really depends on the instructor and the makeup of the class. Also, as the person above me said, it really is about calorie deficit, but Zumba can help you add on 200-400 additional calories (which is important to me!!!) I love it because it doesn't feel like exercise -- it feels like dancing! I hope you try it and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!
  • Hiam76
    Hiam76 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys, now you all have me motivated to start zumba! I find the gym on its own a bit boring even though I push it but I am looking for something more exciting to keep me going. My diet is pretty good , since I started eating healthy I have never gone over my calorie limit with alot of excercise.
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Zumba is my only cardio, but I get REALLY into it - I found an instructor who makes the workouts difficult (some are easier). I absolutely 100% recommend it. it put me in really good cardio shape.

I love having zumba friends on my list so feel free to send me a request :D It's addicting!!
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba! I don't know where I'd be without it on this weight loss journey. Actually, I probably wouldn't work out at all if it weren't for Zumba honestly! I HATE the gym, running, treadmills...mindless work outs that don't engage me. Yuck!

Zumba is so different from all other types of traditional exercise. You have fun and you burn calories doing it!

I'm not sure where people are getting the 200-400 calories burned. I take an hour class and burn just over 1,000 calories at 257 pounds. :)

You should definitely give it a try. I've had so much fun doing it. I see success doing it. You will too, I'm sure of it!

Good luck on your journey! xo
  • dmsl977
    dmsl977 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM faithfully and I burn between 500-600 calories an hour in Zumba and I'm only 155 pounds. I also have two kick-butt instructors who keep us moving for the full hour of class.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Oh it's so fun!!

I haven't done an actual class but I do it on my Wii. It's a blast. Very challenging. I'm still working toward getting better at the steps and I've had the game for 9 months lol.

Lost 30 pounds basically with that as my only workout.

Burns awesome calories without feeling like your working hard in my opinion. 600 an hour or so.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a class, I follow along the YouTube videos. I really love Zumba!! I'm always drenched in sweat when I'm done. I am doing an hour of it almost everyday. Zumba has completely helped me lose 15 lbs so far!!! It's the only exercise I do. :bigsmile: