New Years Resolutions?

Options
So, for my new year's resolution, I am going to completely give up all sugar.
It's gonna be hard...
Just wondering, what're you guys doing?

Replies

• bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Ay-yay-yay (should rhyme with "my" but it looks funny!).

"ALL sugar?" Sugar is in EVERYTHING, so I would really, strongly suggest you amend your goal to giving up SIMPLE sugars. Simple sugars are found in a lot of processed foods, cakes, candies, etc.

You do NOT want to give up the vitamins and minerals found in fruits, some of which are very high in COMPLEX sugars. These kinds of resolutions worry me, because it seems like you're setting yourself up for failure. It's kind of like the low carb thing. If you give up all carbs, you're talking about a lot of vegetables, which again contain mega vitamins and minerals, which are good for you. If you are diabetic, you may want to limit your fruit intake, but if you're not, you're robbing your body of some great nutrtition.

Why don't you work on eating more fruit and less junk and see how that works?

I'm just sayin' . . .
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I agree with BJ.....start by not adding any sugar.....and reading all labels.
    No soda's and most prepared foods....but they are bad for you for so many other reasons anyway.

After a while things will start to taste good without the sugar.

I don't use artificial sweeteners either...those are bad for you too, and you will never get rid of the craving for that sweet taste when using those.

I use an apple to sweeten my oats in the morning....a little 2% milk to sweeten my coffee....other than that I just don't eat the junk.
  • size08
    size08 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    :drinker: yes! I've cut my natural sugars back. I did it gradually. I intend to cut back even more. soon I should be only consuming my 30g of sugars a day!! yay!:bigsmile:
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I agree with BJ.....start by not adding any sugar.....and reading all labels.
    No soda's and most prepared foods....but they are bad for you for so many other reasons anyway.

After a while things will start to taste good without the sugar.

I don't use artificial sweeteners either...those are bad for you too, and you will never get rid of the craving for that sweet taste when using those.

I use an apple to sweeten my oats in the morning....a little 2% milk to sweeten my coffee....other than that I just don't eat the junk.

Not everybody that uses artificial sweeteners has a craving for sweet food after ward. Maybe people that already had a sweet tooth may feel that way. I add a Splenda to my morning and afternoon coffees (I don't like the taste of Stevia), and I don't eat sweets, I never care for it.

And it has not been proven that artificial sweeteners are also bad. I also try to void process food but it is not always possible. Besides, we don' really know what we are getting when we go to somebody else house or when we eat out. Unless we just stay home all the time cooking our own food.l Boring!!!

So please let's no call "junk" to all the food that we don't like or eat; it is not fair and it is insulting to people that still eat process food and sweets. And I am sure that around the holidays many people are eating lots of it.
  • dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about it and I don't know as of yet! I tend to set such highfalutin goals that I never achieve them or I have no game plan and so don't achieve them. I better start pondering now....

On the sugar thing, I took it to mean desserts and highly processed foods where sugar is just dumped in. Good luck to you!
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm going to rededicate myself to whole foods even stronger. I've done really well with eliminating refined flour, but I would like to do better with the sweet stuff as well. It is my kryptonite, but I know my will is strong enough to handle it. Good luck and Happy New Year!
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Mine is to go back to running and weight training. And to work more overtime :)
  • TheDaniProject
    Options
    hello everyone

im new to this and so my mini goal to start the new year will be to cut back on fast food.
    fast food is my secret addiction =/
    theres just something about those damn frenchfries that i find hard to resist.. but anywho
    that will be part of my major project for 2011
    will be in need of your support and i thank you in advance =D