Cooking Challenge: Zucchini

inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
Welcome to the twelfth round of the cooking challenge! This week's ingredient comes to us from Claudia007 who was the winner of the apple challenge.

ttar_zucchini_v.jpg

This week's challenge is ZUCCHINI!

"Zucchinis contain useful amounts of folate (24 mcg/100 g), potassium (280 mg/100 g) and vitamin A (384 IU [115 mcg]/100 g). Zucchinis are also an excellent source of vitamin C. Dark green zucchini also have some beta carotene and all types provide small quantities of minerals. Skin colours range from almost black, dark green, pale green, pale green with grey, and yellow. The darker the squash, the more the nutrients.

With their high water content (more than 95 percent), zucchini squashes are very low in calories. There are only 13 calories in a half-cup of raw zucchini, with a slight increase to 18 calories in the same quantity cooked."

Zucchini (1 cup, chopped)
20 calories
0 grams fat
0 mg cholesterol
12 mg sodium
325 mg potassium
4 grams carbs
1 grams dietary fiber
2 grams protein

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday January 1 at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Squash two weeks in a row! :heart: :heart: :heart: Love it! :bigsmile:
  • inskydiamonds
    Enter this challenge!
  • meagalayne
    Entering!

I had zucchini for breakfast today :happy: Very yummy, quick and supremely healthy. Here's what I made. Makes 2 servings:

Tofu, Veggie and Egg White Scramble

Cooking spray
    1 medium onion, sliced in half moons
    1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into 1 inch strips
    1 small zucchini, cut into 1 inch pieces
    150g extra firm organic tofu, crumbled or cut into small cubes
    2 Tbsp chili garlic sauce (Rooster brand) *** This stuff is quite spicy, not for the faint of hearts
    2 cups baby spinach, chopped
    2/3 cup 100% egg whites

Heat skillet on medium and coat with cooking spray. Add onions and peppers and cook for 2-3 mins. Add zucchini and continue to stir-fry for 2-3 additional mins, until vegetables are soft and slightly browned. Add tofu, mix to combine. Add chili garlic sauce, mix and cook for 2-3 mins until tofu is heated through. Add spinach and wilt for 1 min. Add egg whites and scramble around the pan for 1-2 mins until they reach the consistency you want like - usually resembles crumbled cheese (This happens SUPER quickly, and the egg whites will burn if left too long, so be ready!). Serve and enjoy.

The pan will be quite dry and the dish does not have any "sauce" -- This is how I like it but you could add oil or another sauce if you prefer. It's totally up to you. Tasted pretty darn good to me :bigsmile:

Per serving:
    Calories 229
    Carb 21
    Fat 7
    Protein 26
    Fiber 7
    Sodium 594

- Meag
  • inskydiamonds
    Meag! Unfortunately no one else entered :(
    Fortunately, YOU WIN!
  • inskydiamonds
    IGNORE
  • meagalayne
    Meag! Unfortunately no one else entered :(
    Fortunately, YOU WIN!
    Really don't feel like a winner on this one, Liz... Thanks!
  • wow how did I miss this post entirely?? :(

Meagalyne, your recipe looks delicious! I want to try it :)
This discussion has been closed.