question for mommas

Options
Koozy81
Koozy81 Posts: 250 Member
I had a baby exactly 4 months ago, and i gained ALOT of weight from that experience, and im working out and eating much healthier, but im still losing the weight so slowly, i gained a total of about 50 lbs from beginning to the end of being pregnant. Ive lost about 22lbs since having her, but that 20 lbs came off after about two weeks. Ive talked to my doctor and she says it takes alot of adjusting and time to get that weight off, you've heard the saying "it took 9 months to gain the weight, give it that long to lose it"....but seriously? that long? im excercising, eating good....its SO frustrating! What was everyone else's experiences with this? And the tiny ladies who wore their pre-pregnancy size 4 jeans leaving the hospital with thier babies are NOT the ladies im talking to! :tongue:

Replies

• Koozy81
    Koozy81 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I had a baby exactly 4 months ago, and i gained ALOT of weight from that experience, and im working out and eating much healthier, but im still losing the weight so slowly, i gained a total of about 50 lbs from beginning to the end of being pregnant. Ive lost about 22lbs since having her, but that 20 lbs came off after about two weeks. Ive talked to my doctor and she says it takes alot of adjusting and time to get that weight off, you've heard the saying "it took 9 months to gain the weight, give it that long to lose it"....but seriously? that long? im excercising, eating good....its SO frustrating! What was everyone else's experiences with this? And the tiny ladies who wore their pre-pregnancy size 4 jeans leaving the hospital with thier babies are NOT the ladies im talking to! :tongue:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    she says it takes alot of adjusting and time to get that weight off, you've heard the saying "it took 9 months to gain the weight, give it that long to lose it"....but seriously? that long? im excercising, eating good....

Yes, that long. I remember it was almost exactly a year when it just all melted off one day.

My son is 5 and I am finally back in my pre-pregnancy pants!!

Patience my dear, and remember that baby loves you no matter what you look like. :flowerforyou:

Lifestyle change, not a diet.....
  • motheroftwoboys
    Options
    Just don't give up. My doctor told me that is takes a while for your body to realize that there isn't a baby there anymore. I have had two kids and I'm finally just about back to the weight I was before both kids. Just keep trying it will happen.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Your body goes through a lot of trauma having a baby. Therefor it's gonna take a little time to get things back on track and re-adjusted. There are tons of hormone changes along with phycially able to be seen changes.

I never worried about my weight. After having my daughter (5 years ago) I am just now wanting to make changes and seeing results. It just takes time and EVERY body is different. Some lose it all in 6 weeks and others it takes YEARS.

Don't force it, cause that's when we do crazy things.
  • MrsHutch
    MrsHutch Posts: 4
    Options
    It does take a while to lose....My son is turning a year old this week and I am 10lbs away from my pre-pregnancy weight. For me though it's not event the weight it's the stretch marks that have riddled my tummy making it look horrendous. I know once I get it toned it will look better but it will never be the same. My son was also a horrible sleeper at night so I was always tired and never had the energy to take time for myself and exercise. Now that we have him sleeping through the night I am making sure to take time for myself. I want my son to be proud of his mom, I know he loves me no matter what but still I want to be healthy and happy for him and myself. Just keep plugging away, your body will know what to do.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    MrsHutch, some people have mentioned a product called bio-oil for stretch marks. I've never used it but they say it helps. I am looking into getting some soon. May be an option to look into.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. I feel your pain. I gained 60 pounds with my daughter. However, I hung in there and by my daughter's first birthday (12 months) I had lost the weight. I remember eating right, resting (can be tricky for some mommies), light weight training (8 minutes in the morning w/Jorge Cruise), and daily walks.

Congratulations on your new baby
    -Kechie.
  • strongmom
    strongmom Posts: 72
    Options
    With each of my kids it took me at least 1 year to get back to my pre-preg weight. Although after each one I tried on my jeans within months of having the baby because I thought I would fit!HA! they didn't for a long time...
  • Pamy
    Pamy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Yes it was that long for me too. About 1 -1/2 pounds per week is a healthy weight loss.
    Pamela :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I agree with pretty much what everyone else has said. Your body goes through a lot when carrying and delivering a baby. Everything is out of whack so to speak and how your body functions can be completely different from how it did before. Give yourself time and give yourself realistic goals. I know it's hard but the weeks and months will pass faster than you think. Just focus on being healthy. Eat foods to fuel your body, exercise to increase energy, etc. All of this has helped me a lot in caring for my son who is currently 18 months old. Limit your calories enough but not too much. Eat enough to give you energy, because you WILL need it! :) Just go easy on yourself!! :)

Take care!
    Tami
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I lost the weight SO SLOWLY, but that is the way I wanted to do it. I was breastfeeding, so I didn't feel comfortable losing the weight quickly, because I worried my milk wouldn't be the same if I limited my calories.

My daughter is 14 mo. old right now and I am looking good. However, I just threw away the birth control, so here we go again!
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am with everyone else. Hang in there. If you are on b/c that may be contributing to the slowness. After my second and 6 months of bedrest, I started walking within 2 weeks and I watched what I ate and walked and exercised and I still only lost about 6lbs per month. If felt very slow, but the perserverance factor kicked in and I lost all the baby weight and a little extra.
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Yep, a long time. My baby is 5 months very soon and I have lost 20 lbs. But don't give up, as you know it will take some time, but when you are doing it the right way it is gonna stay off! This is my third child, and it usually does take awhile to lose everything. Remember hormones take a huge play in weight loss after having a baby. Hang in there, it'll come!!