Need a reliable source on protein needs for gaining muscle

Options
So I've been dieting for about 4 1/2 months and it's been going great. I've been doing lots of cardio, but I want to start lifting weights. Does anyone know of a reliable source on how much protein I would need in order to gain muscle?

Replies

• AntonyLamsdell
    Options
    Chicken? Turkey?

PHD protein supplement is pretty good too :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,025 Member
    Options
    A broad intake of protein will facilitate muscle gains if you 1) eat at a calorie surplus 2) lift heavy in a progressive fashion.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    So I've been dieting for about 4 1/2 months and it's been going great. I've been doing lots of cardio, but I want to start lifting weights. Does anyone know of a reliable source on how much protein I would need in order to gain muscle?
    You wont gain muscle if your still eating at a deficit to lose weight. Sufficient protein will help you maintain what you have which try and get the majority from real food and supplement with protein powder if needed
  • choligeetu
    choligeetu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Why not try types of legumes such as soy, lentils, chickpeas, etc. They provide fiber and vitamines besides abundant proteins, and are cheap.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    A broad intake of protein will facilitate muscle gains if you 1) eat at a calorie surplus 2) lift heavy in a progressive fashion.

^^^This...

At the very least get the RDA which I think is 0.8 grams per kilogram of bodyweight...