vitamins, a waste of money and time

Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/should-i-take-a-multivitamin/
    The Medical Letter is an independent unbiased source written by a group of experts who review all the literature and provide periodic updates. Their most recent review of vitamin supplements (Vol 47 No 1213, p.57-8, July 18, 2005) concluded,

Supplements are necessary to assure adequate intake of folic acid in young women and possibly of vitamins D and B12 in the elderly. There is no convincing evidence that taking supplements of vitamin C prevents any disease except scurvy. Women should not take vitamin A supplements during pregnancy or after menopause. No one should take high dose beta carotene supplements. A balanced diet rich in fruits and vegetables may be safer than taking vitamin supplements. No biologically active substance taken for a long term can be assumed to be free of risk.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Looks like crap to me. Not an actual study, but more rather than an opinion on a blog from a business majoring person..... not valid.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Looks like crap to me. Not an actual study, but more rather than an opinion on a blog from a business majoring person..... not valid.
    More and more studies are finding the same lack of benefits. Get your vitamins and minerals from food (unless supervised by a doctor for medical reasons obviously):
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/behindtheheadlines/news/2013-12-18-study-finds-vitamin-pills-have-limited-benefit/
  • Squatch3099
    Squatch3099 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I take liquid calcium which has increased my bone density combined with very high doses of vitamin D3. Due to the high altitude I live at, it is essential to have both. I also take flaxseed oil and vitamin B1. Between meals I take Tart Cherry extract which has noticibly decreased joint swelling.

I will never be without these supplements!:drinker: I'm a believer!!
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    Didn't read the link but is it the same study that is discredited due to the lack of compliance by the participants. Yes properly structured, we'll balanced, nutrient filled diet would be great but let's be honest here, how many of us actually accomplish that.
    I agree it can be hard but I think the jury is still out on how beneficial supplements are for the average person.
    My wife has a B12 deficiency for example, but that is an absorption problem, which is the case for many like her, so oral supplements really don't help. The real question is, how bio-available are most of these oral supplements?
    If they can improve your quality of life, or extend your life fine. I'm just not sure that has been shown. There are obviously unique cases where people have to supplement, but like most cases on MFP, we're talking about a normally healthy subject, not special medical needs cases.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'll keep taking my vitamin D and keep my eczema under control.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Have not read the link but I agree that, for most healthy people, multi vitamin supplements are unnecessary.
  • __Bad_Leroy
    Options
    Dr. Rhonda Patrick's YouTube page is a great resource on vitamins and supplements.

https://www.youtube.com/user/FoundMyFitness
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I always forget to take it anyway...
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    If one's diet is high in all the right foods, true additional vitamins and minerals would be of no benefit. Many of the over the counter vitamins and are probably not worth the money because they need to be presented in the right proportions and in a form which is easily absorbed by the body.

My diet is compromised on three counts, 1/ it is calorie restricted, 2/ I am compromised in the foods I can eat because of salicylate toxicity, and 3rdly/ because I choose to be vegetarian. (The human eye has the same composition as those of many animals. and who really knows what goes on behind them?) I use supplement.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think some people's attitudes about taking certain supplements is the same as other trends like gluten free. A lot of people take Vit D (or cut out gluten) because they read some article or their cousin told them they should while there are others who actually need to take Vit D (or live gluten free) because they have an actual condition diagnosed by a medical professional.
  • yxlr8
    yxlr8 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Some people need supplements. I have fibromyalgia and take berocca, magnesium, fish oil and CO-Q10. By taking this combination under guidance from my gp I have more than halved my dependence on prescription pain killers. I know they work for me because if I miss a dose of any of them I pay dearly. I found this particular mix by adding in something for 6 weeks then take it out for 6 weeks, if it makes a notable difference I keep taking it. I have also tried multi vitamins, protein powder etc but they did nothing for me. Vitamins are only going to make a difference if your body is lacking in that particular vitamin or prefers to function with a higher level of that vitamin than other people. For example people with fibro generally require more Vit D and B12 than the average person and many find benefit from having B12 injections.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I take liquid calcium which has increased my bone density combined with very high doses of vitamin D3. Due to the high altitude I live at, it is essential to have both. I also take flaxseed oil and vitamin B1. Between meals I take Tart Cherry extract which has noticibly decreased joint swelling.

I will never be without these supplements!:drinker: I'm a believer!!

Tart cherry is good for gout sufferers too........

My Dr. prescribed an iron supplement because I WAS anemic.....good hematocrit numbers now.
  • alivetothrive14
    Options
    Depending on what grade the vitamins are, they can be very beneficial. Most vitamins that are sold..like at walmart, are grade 3, thats close to the grade they give farm animals. You need to take pharmaceutical grade. The pills at walmart or gnc are not very digestible and also take very long to break down in our water systems. If you are taking hard pills put one in a glass of warm water..see how long it takes to dissolve. I take vitamins everyday but they are the highest quality, i take them because even eating fresh fruit and veggies i am not getting a sufficient amount of minerals etc..this is because our soil is depleted from pollution.
  • BEVERLYSTEEN
    BEVERLYSTEEN Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I will continue to take my vitamins that my physician has suggested I take, we can see a difference in my blood tests since I have been using them.
  • bethanyboomstick
    bethanyboomstick Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I could be eating a 100% perfectly sufficient diet given to me by a nutritionist. I'm still going to take that multivitamin as a security blanket just to make sure and make me feel better.
  • raj787
    Options
    I think this topic is rather too complicated for any one study to define. Please, just do what your doctor tells you. These studies are funded by people with agendas, and the results can be manipulated easily to show almost whatever conclusions they like. You can't take anything they say at face value. One study says this, another says the opposite. How do you decide which makes sense if you don't have an education in that area? I know that I feel better when I take vitamins - and I am picky about brands, too. I have to, because other medications I take interfere with my ability to absorb nutrients so I have to take in a lot to make up the difference. So everybody quit being so judgy! Dang.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am another who is taking a medically prescribed supplement (high potency iron for anemia). Only about 20% of the iron actually gets absorbed, but that is much better than nothing. I do what I can to help by not eating dairy within 3 hours before or after taking it and also not taking my acid blocker in the same 3 hour time frame. Both can reduce absorbency of iron (the acid blocker can also reduce or prevent the absorption of other medications and/or supplements so I take it by itself at supper)..
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    I could be eating a 100% perfectly sufficient diet given to me by a nutritionist. I'm still going to take that multivitamin as a security blanket just to make sure and make me feel better.
    Yes, and that is why there is a market for multi-vitamins (and homeopathy etc. ad infinitum). I'd rather know and save the money (or spend it if it was shown there is a benefit).