Swimming after a ruptured eardrum?

stewster123
stewster123 Posts: 56
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi All,
So about 7 weeks ago I got a double ear infection and one of my eardrums ruptured. They feel fine now, but I was wondering how long I have to wait until I can swim? I wouldn't be as concerned if my right eardrum hadn't ruptured, but I want to be sure...anyone experience that before?

Replies

• khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    That doesn't sound good...but I would ask your doc. Pressure could do perm damage if you're not careful. I would hope that after 2 months of healing that it would be ok in shallow water (surface swimming). But see your doc to get a professional opinion.
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    can you wear ear plugs? I do?
  • Yeah, I will probably just call the doc, but yes, I normally wear earplugs, I was just wondering about the whole pressure thing...thanks guys!
  • Most eardrum ruptures heal up without difficulity. Your doctor can recheck your ear to verify it has healed. You should get clearance from your doctor before you start swimming again. Ear plugs can be helpful. Be mindful your ear may be more sensitive to pressure changes in the future (e.g. swimming to the bottom of the pool)
  • Most eardrum ruptures heal up without difficulity. Your doctor can recheck your ear to verify it has healed. You should get clearance from your doctor before you start swimming again. Ear plugs can be helpful. Be mindful your ear may be more sensitive to pressure changes in the future (e.g. swimming to the bottom of the pool)

Thank you! Yeah, I've always had ear problems since I was a kid. No fun :(
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    The rupture is the point of healing after it ruptures it heals quickly. My daughter is a suffer( not any more hopefully she had surgery 1 week ago this Monday). They always suggest custom fit ear plugs or cotton balls dipped in Vaseline.
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    you changed your picture since the original post lol
  • The rupture is the point of healing after it ruptures it heals quickly. My daughter is a suffer( not any more hopefully she had surgery 1 week ago this Monday). They always suggest custom fit ear plugs or cotton balls dipped in Vaseline.

Where do you get "custom fit" ear plugs? Do you mean the gel-type ones that mold to your ears?
  • you changed your picture since the original post lol

Haha, sorry for the confusion! :)
This discussion has been closed.