I DO NOT LIKE....

Options
my new sports watch!

basically i go running every day for about a mile (12 min), and based on MFP it tells me i burn about 180 calories doing that

HOWEVER

i got a new sports watch which calculates calories burnt based on my weight (144 lbs) and sex and pulse rate and told me that today my mile burnt me.....

35 CALORIES!!! NOT IMPRESSED!!:mad:

can anyone shed insight?! is this right or did i do the pulse thing wrong?

thanks!

x

Replies

• Rhythrin
    Rhythrin Posts: 19
    Options
    my new sports watch!

basically i go running every day for about a mile (12 min), and based on MFP it tells me i burn about 180 calories doing that

HOWEVER

i got a new sports watch which calculates calories burnt based on my weight (144 lbs) and sex and pulse rate and told me that today my mile burnt me.....

35 CALORIES!!! NOT IMPRESSED!!:mad:

can anyone shed insight?! is this right or did i do the pulse thing wrong?

thanks!

x
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    only thing i can go buy is that 30 min of light walking... i shed 130 cal however i sweat after about 10 or so min.. it depends on that too.. so good luck... but i also weigh 249 so thats prob correct with your weight.... sorry...:sad:
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    Hmm, sounds strange. Judging on what I burn running you should be burning at least 100 calories. Probably MFP overestimates your calories (especially if you are in good shape and not weigh much) but 35 seems too little.
    Another thing that comes to my mind is that chest strap was not measuring your heart rate and then the unit was not counting calories. When you workout check if your heart rate is measured all the time (on my HRM a black heart is blinking when everything is ok).
  • Rhythrin
    Rhythrin Posts: 19
    Options
    its not actually a HRM, its a sensor which picks up your pulse as soon as you stop running
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I don't run but I entered into MFP as if I had run 1 mile in 12 minutes and it kicked back that I would burn 189 calories. Given that I weigh almost double your weight, I don't see how you could burn 189 calories, only 8 less, doing the same amount of exercise. So I think MFP overestimated your calorie burn.

Yet, 35 sounds too low, so I also suggest checking to make sure you've entered your info into it correctly and that it is recording your heart beat right. I bought some BUH BUMP Cream from Amazon.com--it's designed to rub on the back of HRMs and ensures that there is a good 'seal' against your chest area.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    yea, i would definitely blame the watch. However, ever since i got my HRM ive noticed MFP tends to overestimate on some exercises compared to what my hrm tells me..s its kinda hard to tell whats true!
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    its not actually a HRM, its a sensor which picks up your pulse as soon as you stop running

If so than don't worry. It probably doesn't count your calories all the time. Use it to check your heart rate but calculate calories differently. I would enter 3/4 of a time you were exercising to MFP. 100 calories for 10 minutes of running for me is a really decent pace and high heart rate (probably 80-90% of max, I'm 24y.o, 139lbs).