Does anyone hit their sugar goal???

Options
Hello,

Am new to myfitnesspal. I am doing a higher protein diet where I eat every two hours very small meals...and I am eating very healthy items and yet I still cannot seem to stay under my sugar goal no matter what I do. If I so much as have one 1/4 cup of fruit my sugar goal goes red.

Does this happen to anyone else? Does it really matter as long as I'm staying under my calorie and fat goals??

I'm also WAY under my sodium goals...I have never been a salt person....why would they have the sodium so high?

Thanks!

Shoopy

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Am new to myfitnesspal. I am doing a higher protein diet where I eat every two hours very small meals...and I am eating very healthy items and yet I still cannot seem to stay under my sugar goal no matter what I do. If I so much as have one 1/4 cup of fruit my sugar goal goes red.

Does this happen to anyone else? Does it really matter as long as I'm staying under my calorie and fat goals??

I'm also WAY under my sodium goals...I have never been a salt person....why would they have the sodium so high?

Thanks!

Shoopy

I don't have any medical issues with sugar, so I choose not to track it. I personalized my settings to track fiber instead.

Some people do higher fat on purpose (fat won't make you fat)........whatever works for you.

I try to meet my protein everyday.....I even set that one a little higher.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I have rarely met my sugar goal, without going over. But when I DO hit it or stay under, it is only with fruit that is lower in sugars. For example would be blueberries, peaches, and the more sour fruits, I also had to cut out any strawberries (frowny face) even though I love them because they would make me hungrier later in the day.

I am pre-diabetic so I do track my sugars and carbs and try to stay under this number without starving myself. I balance out my 1200 calorie diet with a 1/3 split of carbs, fats, and proteins and let MFP figure out how much of the carbs should be sugars.

I hit the number on the head or stay under only about 1/2 the time, but I do try hard the rest of the time and definitely don't overdo it by too much the rest of the time. For sure, there are no added refined sugars in my diet anymore except a few pieces of dark chocolate covered pomegranates from Brookside (1/4 serving, not even the whole serving) when I crave something sweet.

Oh, and the sodium number is high because this is useful if you're working out and sweating all the time. :) Look at your potassium numbers, these should also be around the same. Not hitting these aren't an issue unless, again, you are having health issues from not meeting them (potassium could affect the heart just like sodium).
  • tamp804
    tamp804 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Me too!
    Two apples takes me over my sugar goal yet I NEVER hit my salt 'goal'.
    Would LOVE to understand why this is, I thought we should be eating more fruit not worrying that two little apples would be bad for us :-/
    Trying v hard though xx
    I'm sure our diets have improved just by trying.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I think I stay under my sugar goals most days, but I don't like fruit so that helps a lot. If you don't have a problem with sugar, it probably doesn't matter if you go over some, especially if you're going over from eating a couple servings fruit.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I changed the tracker from "sugar" to "fiber". I eat a lof of fruit ( I log them too). I will always be "Over" on sugar
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I have't looked at my sugar intake in like 6 months.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I am starting to get the sugar under control, it took a while. As for the sodium, I think it's so high cause there is sodium in everything. I try to keep that at half at least, I rarely hit that or go over.
  • peppermintcaroline
    peppermintcaroline Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Ha ha, mine is always red. I eat a lot of fruit. As in, bananas and raspberries for breakfast, a mango for lunch, and grapefruit as a snack. I don't actually have a ton of unhealthy sugars in my diet (no white sugar, I'm not binging on cookies or cakes), so I choose to take that reading with a grain of salt.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I'm usually right in the neighborhood of Mfp sugar goal, a little over or a little under. I don't eat sweet fruit very often and that's usually what will put me way over when I do eat a banana or an apple.
    I do eat sweets often (typically chocolate) and i'd rather eat not-sweet fruit (cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado) and keep my chocolate habit than force myself to eat sweet fruit (most are much too sweet for my liking).
    This is what works for me to be around where mfp wants my sugar intake to be, but I'd do this anyway regardless if mfp put me in the red on sugar for it.
    Sweet fruits are sweet because they are bred to be. Fruit is natures candy because people want fruit that tastes like candy.