Calories-how many?

Options
So I know that mfp gives you the amount that you are suppose to eat each day. But I know that some set your own goal. For those who have had a larger amount of weight loss how many calories were you set at while loosing? I am currently set at 1200 but that my custom setting... Thinking about bumping it up just a bit.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    So I know that mfp gives you the amount that you are suppose to eat each day. But I know that some set your own goal. For those who have had a larger amount of weight loss how many calories were you set at while loosing? I am currently set at 1200 but that my custom setting... Thinking about bumping it up just a bit.

MFP gives you your calories in part based upon "I want to lose XX pounds per week." 1200 NET is MFP's lowest default minimum for women.....so yeah, I would get a second opinion. It could be your weekly goal is aggressive....or it could be correct.

There are lots of on-line TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) calculators. This number would be maintenance.....and should include exercise. To lose weight you just eat less than this number. Subtract 500 for 1 pound a week or 750 for 1.5 pounds.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    ^ what they said
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    For one, You're supposed to NET to MFP's goal...it's important to understand that first off. This means you're supposed to account for exercise by logging it and eating back exercise calories (adjusted for estimation error.

In RE to people customizing their calorie goals, they generally; 1) use a TDEE calculator (which includes some estimate of your exercise activity as well as daily activity in your activity level) or 2) have monitored their progress or lack there off and have simply adjusted accordingly to the math; or 3) some combination of 1 & 2.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!