Help with logging work? Calories burned at work?

Options
I just started a new job in a lab/retail and I'm on my feet for 4-8 hours at a time. I was wondering I if anyone knows how I would log that??

I was going to put it under "housework, light effort" but the "calories burned" seemed too high for 4 hours??

Unless I really do burn about 1,000 calories for four hours of non-stop work....

Can anyone give me some help?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I would increase your activity setting to lightly active or active instead of trying to log the activity separately.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to track that in your activity level when you set your profile...where it asks you what kind of job you do and whatnot.
  • nathansisson
    Options
    If you go under goals you can change your goals. When you do the guided set up one of the questions it asks something along the lines of your daily activity. Choose the option that best fits your work. For example if you work 4 or more days a week I would probably classify that as light activity. Then myfitness pal will take that into account when giving you your calorie goal and you don't need to work about logging your work hours for exercise. Hope that makes sense.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I just started a new job in a lab/retail and I'm on my feet for 4-8 hours at a time. I was wondering I if anyone knows how I would log that??

I was going to put it under "housework, light effort" but the "calories burned" seemed too high for 4 hours??

Unless I really do burn about 1,000 calories for four hours of non-stop work....

Change your activity level from sedentary to lightly active. When people try to log too many things as exercise and eat accordingly, weight loss stalls out.

Sure a retail job burns more than a desk job, but not by that much.

Your body burns calories 24/7 (see BMR). MFP already calculated those into activity level. Adding "exercise" for several hours is way over stated, because it's doesn't net out BMR for that many hours.
  • autopilot_off
    autopilot_off Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I would increase your activity setting to lightly active or active instead of trying to log the activity separately.

^^This or if you're really concerned about accuracy, you might consider purchasing a heart rate monitor and wearing it to work for a week or two. This will give you a more accurate picture of what you burn on average while you're at work.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options

Change your activity level from sedentary to lightly active. When people try to log too many things as exercise and eat accordingly, weight loss stalls out.

Sure a retail job burns more than a desk job, but not by that much.

Your body burns calories 24/7 (see BMR). MFP already calculated those into activity level. Adding "exercise" for several hours is way over stated, because it's doesn't net out BMR for that many hours.

This,
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Get a fitbit and let it sort it out. It won't be the most accurate but it will give you a number and sync it in to MFP for you.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

^^This or if you're really concerned about accuracy, you might consider purchasing a heart rate monitor and wearing it to work for a week or two. This will give you a more accurate picture of what you burn on average while you're at work.

No, not a heart rate monitor. Those are for steady state cardio. Her heart rate won't be that elevated. An activity tracker (FitBit, etc) might be useful.