Personal Trainer pushing me to do machines

Options
13»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    So I've been doing the Stronglifts 5x5 for a few months now and got my weights up significantly. I just felt like my form was terrible so I wanted some help with that.

So I hire a PT to help me out and now he's put me on machines! I really enjoyed the free weights, should I pressure him to let me do free weights or should I just shut up and do as told?

I've read this post and thought for awhile, as well as reading the other comments in the thread. There are some red flags here, but that doesn't prove he is wrong.

I can't judge 100% whether his recommendations are correct or incorrect.

The biggest questions I do have concern the apparent lack of communication. It sounds like there is not nearly enough discussion between the two of you.

Just because you WANT to concentrate on free weights doesn't mean it is the best choice for you at this time. However, the fact that you have specifically requested that you be instructed in these exercises means that the trainer has an obligation to fully explain his alternate reasoning. Just saying your form isn't good enough is insufficient. He needs to be able to outline exactly how doing the machines will enable you to become more proficient in your free weights.

Heck, my clients sometimes ask me questions just to try to get me going on a detailed answer so they can get an extended break ;-) (Doesn't work)
  • chel325
    chel325 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    So I've been doing the Stronglifts 5x5 for a few months now and got my weights up significantly. I just felt like my form was terrible so I wanted some help with that.

So I hire a PT to help me out and now he's put me on machines! I really enjoyed the free weights, should I pressure him to let me do free weights or should I just shut up and do as told?

I've read this post and thought for awhile, as well as reading the other comments in the thread. There are some red flags here, but that doesn't prove he is wrong.

I can't judge 100% whether his recommendations are correct or incorrect.

The biggest questions I do have concern the apparent lack of communication. It sounds like there is not nearly enough discussion between the two of you.

Just because you WANT to concentrate on free weights doesn't mean it is the best choice for you at this time. However, the fact that you have specifically requested that you be instructed in these exercises means that the trainer has an obligation to fully explain his alternate reasoning. Just saying your form isn't good enough is insufficient. He needs to be able to outline exactly how doing the machines will enable you to become more proficient in your free weights.

Heck, my clients sometimes ask me questions just to try to get me going on a detailed answer so they can get an extended break ;-) (Doesn't work)
    He says the fact that I've been progressing my squat up to 100lb is because I'm strengthening my joints or small muscles and not using the right ones. He says the machines will help me unlearn my bad form. I don't know it's all a bit confusing. I'm a little sad because I was so impressed with my squats and benches lol
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ I have never seen one person who squats or benches on a smith machine come to my strength class (free weights) who has good form. Most especially suck at squatting. Smith machines teaches nothing about balance and stability as it takes it all away. You will learn how to squat well on a smith machine. (if there is such a thing).

off topic but if you want to squat on a smith machine you should just use the leg press. Much safer IMO.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i just.....don't know how someone is supposed to learn proper form on one thing....by doing a whole nother thing. i can see breaking you down and putting you back on really light weights while he corrects bad habits, but how do you learn to "use the right muscles" if you're not using the right equipment?
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Do what you are told, fitness trainers have a lot of experience, and know what you can handle, and the right way to do it, to keep you from injuring yourself.
  • 1LadyKate
    1LadyKate Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Do what you are told, fitness trainers have a lot of experience, and know what you can handle, and the right way to do it, to keep you from injuring yourself.

LOL that is not necessarily true. You are ASSUMING that this person has years of experience. There are a number of trainers at my gym that have been a trainer less than 3 years. I am certain some received it in the last six months.

OP, I watched lots of form videos and I practiced my form at home without a bar. The other day I was at the gym when one of the trainers approached me and ask me if I was recovering because of low weights. I said I am new. He said that my form was excellent and he thought I had been lifting for years. On the staff, I know 3 guys who do free weights and when I need help I will go to them.
    I would fire your current trainer, watch videos, and next time you go to the gym. Look for trainers in the free weights area that are training women. Then after they finish, ask for their information.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion .. but anyone can do machines.

They have their place .. and are ok for some people. But I think that we all know that free weights are a better option if you can do it.

I think your PT is being a slacker.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you and this trainer aren't a good fit for each other....

The fastest way to get better at doing a lift is to do the lift. Even if you have a few skill-work sessions with just the bar (or even pvc pipe, or a broomstick, or whatever), you'll get better a lot faster than being forced into the wrong movement pattern by a machine.

That's not a "machine's are bad" comment, it's just a "machines are different" comment.