When lifting, do I count both dumbbells' weight or one..?

Options
Say I'm doing shoulder presses with two fifteen pound dumbbells. Do I log my workout as lifting 15 lbs or 30? I've been doing former b/c I asked around on FB before I started looking at the community stuff on here, and a friend said to count the one weight, so in my example above, it would be 15. I've been logging my lifting in that manner for a few months now but today I was perusing the message boards and saw someone count both weights at once.. Which is right?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    If you lift two 15 lb dumbbells then you've lifted 30 lbs. I would log it as 30.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    With my personal notebook, I only list the weight of a single dumb bell.

If I'm using a 45 it's a 45.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options

I do this too. I don't log my strength training on MFP though. I'm a logbook person.
  • CalebNickels
    CalebNickels Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It only depends on how many arms are involved in the lift. Hopefully this is clear and will help:

1. If you're lifting 15 lb. dumbells, with one in each hand, then you are only lifting 15 lb. with each arm. Say you do 10 reps with each arm. Then you've done 10 reps x 2 arms x 15 lbs, which comes out to 300 lb for that set. When you log this, you should log 15 lbs. as the weight used.

2. If you're lifting a 30 lb. barbell, which requires both hands/arms, then you are balancing 30 lbs. between the two arms. Say you do 10 reps with the barbell. Then you've done 10 reps x 30 lbs, which comes out to 300 lb for that set. When you log this, you should log 30 lbs.

You've lifted the same amount of weight in a single set for both exercises, but dumbells should only be logged based on the weight of a single dumbell.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    barbell is total weigh logged (including the bar)

DB the single DB- even if it's a two DB move.

so shoulder press would be 35's- not 70.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Say I'm doing shoulder presses with two fifteen pound dumbbells. Do I log my workout as lifting 15 lbs or 30? I've been doing former b/c I asked around on FB before I started looking at the community stuff on here, and a friend said to count the one weight, so in my example above, it would be 15. I've been logging my lifting in that manner for a few months now but today I was perusing the message boards and saw someone count both weights at once.. Which is right?

It doesn't particularly matter. If you can lift 15 pound dumbells in each hand, you can lift a 30 pound bar with both hands. Generally, people are stronger lifting a bar than they are lifting dumbells since it requires less stabilization. In other words, I can bench press more than I can dumbell press. So log it as 15 pound DBs and keep lifting! :smile:
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    In my notebook, if I use dumbbells, I write the combined weight and (DB) [for dumbbell] so I know for the next time.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

I would notate:

DB Press 15# x10

to signify that the dumbbells were 15 lbs each.

If I was using a barbell (which I usually do) with say....135 on it I notate

Strict Press 135 x 5

As to which is right: Whichever one you feel comfortable with and allows you to remember what you did last time
  • lupa1979
    lupa1979 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Awesome.. thanks for the detailed answers!
  • aethre
    aethre Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Can I just ask a further question...?

How does dumbbell weight relate to machine weight for a similar movement? I'm thinking about shoulder presses in particular. If you're shoulder pressing 5kg with dumbbells, does that relate to 5kg or 10kg on the machine?
  • jessicagrieshaber
    jessicagrieshaber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The weight will be the same regardless of if you use a dumbbell or a machine to perform your move. However, dumbbell moves generally incorporate more stabilization muscles (IE your abs) which offer a better workout.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Realistically, I don't think it matters muich how you log it as long as you are tracking the weights (either way) and create goals for yourself to increase those weights. You will notice an increase in strength whether you track yourself going from 60-lbs to 70-lbs (total), or 30-lbs dumbbells to 35-lbs dumbbells (individually).
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options

This! The only time I list the weight of both dumbells is if I am doing lunges, DB squats and things like that.
  • CPahsons
    Options
    I think it depends on if you're lifting them at the same time or separately. If you have a 15lb weight in each hand and are curling or lifting both arms at the same time, then I'd count it as 30lbs, but if you do your right arm and then switch to your left arm, I'd count it as 15lbs. With MyFitnessPal though you could specify 15lbs per hand together or separately though so it gives more detail.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options

It's 15lbs because it's dumbbells and you're lifting the weight individually in each hand. If you had a loaded bar and had 15lbs on each side THEN you would add it up and it would equal 30lbs. If someone told me they did 30lbs on their shoulder press then proceeded to pick up 15lb weights I'd have to laugh and tell them no, that they are really lifting 15lbs.

I've never counted both weights as one when lifting with dumbbells.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    The weight will be the same regardless of if you use a dumbbell or a machine to perform your move. However, dumbbell moves generally incorporate more stabilization muscles (IE your abs) which offer a better workout.

Actually no, it won't be because machines have pulleys which take the burden of some of the weight. When I do a chest press with dumbbells the most I've done on my last set is 45 lbs. If I use the chest press machine the most I can do is close to 80 lbs.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I log the single weight, and then make a note that two weights were used. Or a single weight was used. Whichever it may be.