Tanning help for a bonehead please!!

Options
Hello. I'm close to being comfortable taking my shirt off in public again, so this morning I thought I'd try a little tanning. After all, it's included in my gym membership. Long story short, I went in for a 12 minute session and now my chest, stomach, and waist are red...Any experts out there that can please help me?

What tanning product should I use?
How often should I use the tanning machine?

Any advice is appreciated.

Dave

Replies

• WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    First of all 12 minutes your first go is too much. You need to start with 5 minutes and after a couple of visits increase by 2 minutes each time. I know 12 minutes seems like nothing but believe me it is.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    the only way to do it and not damage your skin is the spray on.

it will damage it a lot faster then you think especially if you are older
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    this thread is racist...(not really, said just for effect)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    embrace the pasty.

skin cancer isn't worth it.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    embrace the pasty.

Yep this. They have some really good quality spray tans.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I'm pale and I rock it.

Tanning beds are nothing but cancer waiting to happen.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    embrace the pasty.

this
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    embrace the pasty.

this

This and after a while, your face will look like a saddle bag.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Good heavens!

Your first session should have been 3 to 5 minutes max. Any tanning bed lotion is good, you don't have to pay $50 for some, generally the local stores have some. Online is cheaper too.

I usually go every other day and at the most, three days a week.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Just don't tan. It is sooo bad for you. Like, take it from a reformed Jersey Girl (might as well have invented the G-T-L routine in HS/college). Save your skin, use self-tanners or spray tans if you must, but just embrace the natural dude, and wear sunscreen outdoors!
  • fasyle
    Options
    Well congrats on getting to a spot you're comfortable with! That's really awesome.
    Like the other poster said, you really shouldn't start with more than 5 minutes or so to kick things off. Like your fitness took weeks/months/years to achieve, tanning can take several weeks as well. Definitely not an overnight process.

A word of unsolicited advice on the side - I wouldn't recommend a tanning bed. I'm more of a naturalist when it comes exposing my skin to ultraviolate radioation. take your shirt off and go for a run or go wash your car in the early afternoon (or really whenever the sun is still fully and plainly visible) and your body will tan the good old fasion way.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Tanning is horrible. You're spending your time dieting and exercising so you can be healthy and look good only to ruin it by tanning.

Yes, I know "you're going to die of something." It's that part of your life before you actually die where you prematurely give yourself wrinkles, then dry lizard-like skin, look much older than you really are, have various cancers that you need to have removed, the medications, the pits and scars left on your skin, and possibility of having to endure radiation treatments or chemotherapy.

Use the self tanners, that's at least something. Or just embrace your whiteness.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Well congrats on getting to a spot you're comfortable with! That's really awesome.
    Like the other poster said, you really shouldn't start with more than 5 minutes or so to kick things off. Like your fitness took weeks/months/years to achieve, tanning can take several weeks as well. Definitely not an overnight process.

A word of unsolicited advice on the side - I wouldn't recommend a tanning bed. I'm more of a naturalist when it comes exposing my skin to ultraviolate radioation. take your shirt off and go for a run or go wash your car in the early afternoon (or really whenever the sun is still fully and plainly visible) and your body will tan the good old fasion way.

You realize you can burn under clouds right? usually worse b/c you aren't aware you're burning and either aren't pro-active or just don't deal with it fast enough- i.e. getting out of the sun.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm close to being comfortable taking my shirt off in public again, so this morning I thought I'd try a little tanning. After all, it's included in my gym membership. Long story short, I went in for a 12 minute session and now my chest, stomach, and waist are red...Any experts out there that can please help me?

What tanning product should I use?
    How often should I use the tanning machine?

Any advice is appreciated.

Dave

Is this a parody of the Washington Football Team. You are saying you are a Redskin? Do you feel degraded by the Washington team using your name and likeness to promote its team? Would you like to join a class action lawsuit?

Please sign these forms in triplicate (don't bother to read them), and I will get you all the money THAT YOU DESERVE!

:flowerforyou: "For those who read this and get riled up, it's sarcasm." :flowerforyou:
  • dMonster01
    dMonster01 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    embrace the pasty.

As an adult I'm sure OP is already aware of the risks and can make their own decisions..

OP I will spare you the lecture. They should have "experts" there to determine how long you should start at based on your skin tone/ethnicity. Also, a spray tan is much quicker and you can avoid the burn.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    tan_mom_3_thumb.jpg
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Another *Porcelain Princess" here. Have you tried a good bronzer?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    #thingsyoushouldhaveGoogledfirst
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    tan_mom_3_thumb.jpg

Oh crap - I forgot about her. She actually doesn't look as bad as she did at first. She was scary!

tan-mom.jpg?w=479