What is a healthy relationship with food?

Options
After an eating disorder past I've recovered weight wise however I am still afraid of some foods.

I have ibs and cannot deal with with most dairy. I can handle cheese & butter in small amounts with just a tummy ache and small 150ml tubs of ice cream but large amounts of baked foods, yogurt, milk, chocolate etc leaves me sick.

I eat enough food however I'm terrified of eating unhealthily.
I have not had a doughnut, croissant, a takeaway, white grains, a cookie, bagels, cereal & milk etc in about a year. All my friends comment saying I'm fussy and make me feel left out and say I'm boring :s
I want a normal relationship with food and am considering making Friday a fear food Friday, where I eat a chocolate bar or a Starbucks drink or a small muffin, hopefully at some point I'll manage a doughnut or cookie! And when I go out to eat, eating things I used to love but am scared to eat.

Is this moderation?

Replies

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating enough calories a day, if you dont want to eat that unhealthy stuff there is nothing wrong with that. If you are happy eating only healthy food than dont listen to the people making fun of you. Sadly that happens all the time when people decide to eat healthy. Ive been eating healthy for about 2 years and I still get crap from some of my friends. They just dont understand and that is ok, but dont give in just because people say you should.
  • bethanyboomstick
    bethanyboomstick Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It sounds more like orthorexia, an unhealthy obsession with eating healthy foods. You shouldn't be scared of Starbucks, or a doughnut. A healthy relationship with food would be more along the lines of eating these foods occasionally, when you want them. Enjoying, but not overdoing.

Trying to readjust yourself with foods you're scared to eat is a great idea. Enjoying them isn't the problem, overindulgence is. Don't eat large amounts. Eat a reasonable serving, enjoy it, log it, and move on. :)

If you find your still scared to eat certain foods because they're unhealthy, you may want to get counseling to help adjust your relationship with food.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If you are constantly obsessing over food, that is not considered a healthy relationship, I wouldn't think.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Eat to live. Don't live to eat.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It seems that you are making progress towards moderation. Ignore your inconsiderate friends.
  • sonnyOclock
    Options
    Eat to live. Don't live to eat.

this^