Suggestions for future goals

Options
So I am trying to figure out what to do as of right now in my life. I have no clue what a good weight is for someone my size. I am 20 years old, 5'1" and weigh 88 pounds.
Is this too thin? Or is this an alright amount to weigh?
What should someone my age and height weigh? I am considered to have a small frame. Really could use some insight to know how to start my journey.
Also don't know how much I should be eating. Recently haven't been having very much mostly 1200-1400 calories a day.
Any thoughts would really help.
Thanks!

Replies

• Owlibee
    Owlibee Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Your BMI at the moment is around 16.4 http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx (it needs to be above 18 to be healthy (but of course this can vary from person to person and depends on the individual

to have a BMI of over 18 you need to be around 7 stone (98 lbs)

Have you seen a doctor to check how your overall health is? (just to make sure everything is fine and not contributing to the low weight)

do you eat a lot of dairy/fats/carbs?
  • zbeatsa
    Options
    Thanks for your response.
    I mainly just count calories and not so much fat/carbs/protein although I am aware of it. So if I need to gain 10 pounds how should I start to increase my intake? Do you have any suggestions?
    I recently went to the doctor and they said everything is fine.
  • zbeatsa
    Options
    Do you think if i go from up by 500 calories a day that my body would react okay to the changes?
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Do you think if i go from up by 500 calories a day that my body would react okay to the changes?

I think that is a great start. Try increasing by 500 calories a day from your current intake, and see what happens with your weight. If it still doesn't increase, try adding an extra 200 calories on top of that :)