My Calories Count

Options
Hello Folks,

This is my first time here and have a question about the calories count. As far as I know, I can only have 1200 calories a day in order to lose 1 lb a week. However, I know that I have 1400 a day but work out for 90 minutes and burnt about 550 calories. Do you think it's ok? However, I don't know why it seems like my weight lost slow down. I started going to gym on 4/22 and weighted 151 lb, today, I weight 127 lb. I want to lose 15 more lbs, that's my goal.

Thanks.

Replies

• sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    how tall are you?
  • ypurcaro
    ypurcaro Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    5 ft even.
  • sarajenivieve
    Options
    all your numbers sound great then :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If using MFP as intended, that 1200 is for days you do NO exercise.

On days you do exercise, you burn more, so even with same 500 cal deficit to lose 1 lb weekly - you eat more.

That's why when you log your exercise, your eating goal goes up.

Have you been eating 1200-1400 the entire time with that much exercise even when you weighed more?
    Because you would have burned more then just moving more mass around.
  • ypurcaro
    Options
    Thanks!
  • ypurcaro
    Options
    I just signed up the MFP today and still don't know how to keep the log. I'm learning. It just hard to keep my calories under 1300. That's my problem.
  • FeefWV
    FeefWV Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Gosh. I wish I had that problem. I have trouble eating 1200. I'm always under. I eat a good diet too.
  • ypurcaro
    Options
    Gosh. I wish I had that problem. I have trouble eating 1200. I'm always under. I eat a good diet too.
    You kidding, right?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

On days you do exercise, you burn more, so even with same 500 cal deficit to lose 1 lb weekly - you eat more.

Have you been eating 1200-1400 the entire time with that much exercise even when you weighed more?

^This. Definitely eat more on the days you exercise, you need the extra food to fuel your workouts.

Your weight loss slows down the closer you get to goal, because you burn less calories in general. It takes fewer calories to sustain your body alone because you are smaller. Fewer calories burned during activity because you are moving less mass around. Most people decrease their weekly loss goal the closer they get to goal, which means slower loss. The good news is that it means more food, and it makes transitioning to maintenance easier.
  • sarajenivieve
    Options
    You kidding, right?

I have a hard time eating 1200 sometimes to i totally get it!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Are you significantly underweight already? 1200 is spewed out for 2lb/week loss. Chances are you've inputted your goals/activity incorrectly.
  • ypurcaro
    Options

^This. Definitely eat more on the days you exercise, you need the extra food to fuel your workouts.

Your weight loss slows down the closer you get to goal, because you burn less calories in general. It takes fewer calories to sustain your body alone because you are smaller. Fewer calories burned during activity because you are moving less mass around. Most people decrease their weekly loss goal the closer they get to goal, which means slower loss. The good news is that it means more food, and it makes transitioning to maintenance easier.

That is the first time I heard "weight loss slows down the closer you get to goal..." That's good to know. It seems like I lost only 2 to 3 lbs a week. If I'm not wrong, I lost 24lbs since April 22 (151 lb - 127 lb) average 5.5lbs per month. I hope I'm calculating it right.
  • ypurcaro
    Options
    Are you significantly underweight already? 1200 is spewed out for 2lb/week loss. Chances are you've inputted your goals/activity incorrectly.
    Like I said today is my first day with this website, I just input my data. How could I be underweight? I weighted 151 lbs on 4/22 and today, I'm 127. According to the website, the healthy range for my height and age is between 95-127. Now, that's why I want my goal to be around 118, under 120.
  • heybales
    Options

That is the first time I heard "weight loss slows down the closer you get to goal..." That's good to know. It seems like I lost only 2 to 3 lbs a week. If I'm not wrong, I lost 24lbs since April 22 (151 lb - 127 lb) average 5.5lbs per month. I hope I'm calculating it right.

Well, and the thing is on that fact - it can be because of purposeful wise choices to make it slower, or it's what your body forces on you anyway because of unwise choices.
    Guess which is better for the long run?

So if on paper using best estimates it appears you are still set to say 1.5 lbs weekly and you are losing 0.5 lbs - then either your food logging is just dishonestly inaccurate, which is rare when people use a site like this. Not so impossible with free living non-logging situations.

You should be selecting 1/2 lb weekly at this point.

What did you select.

Oh yeah, great weight loss so far, and unless you had enough protein and strength training - upwards of 20% was muscle mass you lost.
  • ypurcaro
    Options
    heybales: Thanks for the explanation. What do you mean what I set? You mean the goal I set on MFP? I think I set the calories as 1200 a day. I don't remember if they ask me if I want to set my weekly weight loss goal. Last night, i just plan my meals and realized I need to eat more because after I entered the exercise, I have about 500 deficit. But then, I feel very uncomfortable to eat. And plus, I think my stomach become a little smaller, I notice that I can't eat as much as I used to.
    Another think is, I don't know why my calves and my belly still big. I thought when you lose weight, it will be the whole body. :happy:
  • heybales
    Options
    heybales: Thanks for the explanation. What do you mean what I set? You mean the goal I set on MFP? I think I set the calories as 1200 a day. I don't remember if they ask me if I want to set my weekly weight loss goal. Last night, i just plan my meals and realized I need to eat more because after I entered the exercise, I have about 500 deficit. But then, I feel very uncomfortable to eat. And plus, I think my stomach become a little smaller, I notice that I can't eat as much as I used to.
    Another think is, I don't know why my calves and my belly still big. I thought when you lose weight, it will be the whole body. :happy:

You lose first wherever the body wants to. Hence no spot reducing.
    But are your sure your calves aren't big muscular for carrying around more weight? That's usually safe muscle to lose, and you will, during a diet.

When you set up your account profile, you selected your weight loss goal. That's what I was asking about, what you selected.
    If you just went in and set 1200 because of whatever reason, not great choice at all.

And you should go in right now and select 1/2 lb loss weekly goal, as that is reasonable at this point.

And it really sounds like besides your stomach, your whole body has gotten used to you eating much less. That's not good. Because then how low you gonna go for weight loss, and how much lower than needed will maintenance be. And how well will you adhere to it?

To that end, since it sounds like eating goal will go up - especially on workout days.
    Increase what you eat by just 100 extra daily for a week at a time.
    Next week out add 100 more somewhere. Keep going until you are hitting goal.
  • ypurcaro
    Options
  • ypurcaro
    Options
    Heybales: Yes, I just checked the goal I set, it was set to 0.5 lb/week. Now, I have an idea how to get a healthier weight lose. Thanks again.