Will drinking whey protein shakes help me?

Options
Hi, first off I work on a drilling rig, I work 14 days, then I'm off for 7. I was wondering if I drink whey protein shakes when I'm working if it'd help me build muscle mass. I don't go to the gym or anything, but I'm still fairly active on my days off, would I reap any benefits from whey protein? And if so how much should I be using, thanks in advance

Replies

• Return_of_the_Big_Mac
    Options
    Your body is actually quite efficient. It uses what's provided and stores the rest away for when it needs it. Its equally efficient at building muscles when required and using the muscle's protein for energy if you don't use it (within limit).

The result is that if your body will only build muscle mass if you actually give it a reason to (by using them) and the size and strength of those muscles is going to correlate with the frequency and intensity of your use of those muscles.

If you don't use them and continue to challenge them, your body will simply not waste calories building it up no matter how much protein you put into your body. In fact, if you put a lot of protein into your body and have a calorie excess, it will store that away as fat for future use.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Whey protein will help you hit your protein macro if you can't do it with food.

If you're not doing some form of progressive strength programme then, no, it will not help you build muscle. In fact, if it takes you over your daily maintenance calories it will help you build fat.
  • Dustinbilly
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I should've been a little more thorough in my question, I basically do some sort of heavy lifting/pulling etc 12 hours a day when I'm at work, I don't get enough proteins from food, so would I get any benefits from taking whey?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I should've been a little more thorough in my question, I basically do some sort of heavy lifting/pulling etc 12 hours a day when I'm at work, I don't get enough proteins from food, so would I get any benefits from taking whey?

Oh, if you're not getting enough from food then it will definitely help you maintain what's there.

Again though, I understand that your work may be heavy but I'm going to assume it's the same heavy everyday, if you know what I mean? If you weren't used to it to begin with then your body will have got stronger to adapt to the change. Problem is, your body will have adapted now and to replicate the gains you got in the beginning (be that in strength or strength and muscle) things need to get harder. I'm imagining in a work situation that's not going to happen.

Are you offshore? Do you have a gym on site? If so, hit the weights too. If not, some form of bodyweight programme could help. I'm now picturing some kind of rockyesque montage including an oil stained white vest :laugh:
  • Tickwomp
    Options
    It's better to chew your calories, but without whey shakes I would never hit my macros. I have protein before and after each workout and as needed for recovery (hitting my macros)