Counting calories & OCD/Perfectionism?

Options
If you're a perfectionist, does counting calories drive you crazy??? I find that i drive myself crazy when measuring. I get frustrated because i think i am for sure doing it wrong. I think my numbers are all off. This is why I measure/count for like 2 days and give up.

I'm not alone in this lol?

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think it's common. You don't have to be perfect. It's all estimates anyway. :smile:
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Only with cereal/shredded cheese. If I go over, I'll put the excess back into the package. And yes, I'm the only one that eats those particular items.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    In order to not drive yourself crazy with counting you must constantly remind yourself that the FDA allows companies a 20% margin of error on nutritional facts. So even if you are perfect, your count is still +/- 20% which is a pretty big margin of error. This why consistency is much more important then accuracy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you find that counting makes you nuts? DON'T DO IT.
    Choose another method.

seriously.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    A life without Chipotle is not worth living
  • RET68
    RET68 Posts: 88
    Options
    In order to not drive yourself crazy with counting you must constantly remind yourself that the FDA allows companies a 20% margin of error on nutritional facts. So even if you are perfect, your count is still +/- 20% which is a pretty big margin of error. This why consistency is much more important then accuracy.
    oh my gosh, that's horrible:grumble:
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Idk if this has been my problem, but I've switched my calorie goals veeery often. I have averaged anywhere from 2000 to 2100 on monthly bases lol. So now I'm just going to stick to 2000 as my goal and I might not weigh myself for another month... mostly because I think part of the issue is wanting to change cals when not INSTANTLY seeing results because last time I lost weight (every time actually) it's been pretty quick. Now I'm going slow so... it's more frustrating :/
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Couple of thoughts.

1. You get better at it with time

2. As others stated, it's all estimates. What I try to do is to be as accurate as is possible without driving myself crazy, and then adjust based on results.

3. If you do find that counting drives you crazy there are other ways. I don't care for them and prefer the precision of calorie counting, but it's not the only way.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Calories aren't an exact science, anyways... they're just a tangible representation of the energy that comes from and is stored within the foods we consume. This can differ from serving to serving, and even bite to bite, and everyone's metabolism utilizes the energy from food in a slightly different rate / way. It's more of a guideline, as is calorie counting. You find a number that works and stick with it, don't freak out if everything isn't EXACTLY measured, because it doesn't really matter that much anyway. 1g over or .1 ounce over isn't going to make you gain / lose any more or less than if it were measured exactly.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Depends what it is. If I go over my peanut butter a couple grams, meh.. And I lick the spoon ;)

If I go over my broccoli though, I might put some of that back. Hahaha.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

Spokesperson here for not being consistent with calorie counts lol. I'm guessing it IS a mental thing of some kind then for me.
  • lose25togain
    Options
    lol yea put that that extra broccoli back.
  • lose25togain
    Options

I've heard this before. Thanks for the reminder. I'm probably off anyway. I just have to teach myself to not care so much.
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I get frustrated because i think i am for sure doing it wrong.

What is it you think you are doing wrong?

Perfectionism for me means I often do not get things done or even started but in the case of MFP this has worked in my favor. I accept that calories eaten or used can only be estimates. Also the calorie limits are based on averages so are not exact for an individual. But where I can control things is by recording everything that passes through my lips. This has worked well for me and has kept me accountable.

I have a note taped to my computer that says: Done IS perfect.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Only with cereal/shredded cheese. If I go over, I'll put the excess back into the package. And yes, I'm the only one that eats those particular items.

The other day I was weighing out 2 ounces of cheese, the first hunk I cut of the block weighed 2.25 ounces. I cut off a slice, reweighed and bingo! two ounces. Happy with my perfect 2 ounce hunk of cheese, I popped that little quarter ounce slice into mouth and ate it! WTF! Why bother? Holy crap.:huh:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Total OCD here and use to it. Gotta love the digital scale!!
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options

This is the best advice.

Ultimately only worry about yourself. Monitor calorie intake and what you expend for 6 weeks, assess results. Revise input/output up or down to achieve results you prefer. Rinse and repeat.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better about estimating, I weigh almost nothing and I post-log my eating and lose pretty much on track with what I should.

Many people here tend to want to micromanage it all and worry so much over potentially under-eating, even for one day. It doesn't have to be that hard. Pick an intake level, log, note how fast you lose weight. If it's slower than you like, lower your intake level.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Turn your weakness into a strength.

I have OCD and I love counting calories. It suits my methodical and aynalitical tendicies .

Ever watch The BIg Bang Therory on TV ? Sheldon always knocking 3 times is me weighing food. LoL

Yes I put the extra gram of cheese back in the bag !!!

Hitting my daily Marco percentages exactly makes me chuckle and I try to do it just for fun every day.
    Hitting my daily micro nutrient numbers has become my shopping and meal planning challenge. I am constantly looking for the perfect meal plan to hit my numbers.

Basically I just use my OCD as a way to keep me motivated to lose fat. don't let OCD be your excuse to stay fat.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I guess I do have a pretty good amount of "faith" in my estimates and measurements being accurate...but I honestly believe my OCD tendencies and lifelong perfectionism are the REASON that this particular method of weight loss has worked so well for me. For me to never eat junk food again is not realistic. For me to give up all carbs is not realistic. But for me to log every bite, every sip, every day...totally my thing. I act like it's the damn LAW for me to log every single bite - including that 1/4 tbsp of whatever sauce on my breakfast taco.