Fought the good fight, but...

Options
It's just not working. I lost weight for a while, but then it stopped. I feel like I was doing everything I should have, but my weight loss has completely stalled. I'm so miserable and so hungry all the time. I've been growing more depressed and disappointed with myself, and I have so much weight to lose. I stuck it out as long as I could, but maybe I should just face facts that weight loss is not in the cards for me. I just wanted to say though that some of you are wonderful and inspirational people. Congratulations on your success and good luck with the future.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It looks like you just started in August? This is not something that is going to happen over night, this is a lifestyle change, this is forever. It takes patience and determination.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Is this a passive aggressive cry for help or are you just saying good bye? I'm never good with these.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    You will always lose quickly at first and then .... s...l....o....w.....l.....y..... it can be very frustrating. I had a week where I exercised, logged, etc and I lost .2 pounds!! :grumble:
    So change up what you're doing, try increasing protein and reducing carbs a bit, find an exercise you LOVE (better yet with someone you love to be with too). Over the long haul it will be worth it, not because you want to see lower numbers on the "scale" but because you will feel great because you're eating healthy, exercising and treating your body as something you truly value. And don't weigh yourself more than once a week (or even just once a month). I see people on here getting frustrated because they seem to gain and lose and then to find out that they're weighing daily! This is a lifestyle change- it will get better.
  • digistyle
    digistyle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Don't throw in the towel. We all stall, or even reverse, as we go through the process. Maybe try setting some small, short term goals and focus on them,
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    You joined in August and you're quitting after only five weeks?

I just looked at my progress report. You know how much weight I've lost since April? TEN POUNDS. That's two stinking, miserable pounds a month.

But it's also what I have my calories set for - 0.5 pound loss a week. So yes, it's slow. But it's working.

You have to keep doing it. You didn't gain that weight in a month and you're not going to lose it in a month either.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your diary. You're only eating 1300 calories a day and your ticker says you have 100+ pounds to lose. What did you set your goal at? Losing 2 pounds a week? Maybe you should change your goal to 1lb a week. That will give you more calories to eat a day and you won't be so hungry.

Also, you've lost 14 pounds in a month. That's an amazing weight loss so far. Don't expect it to always be that way. It will come off quickly at first then it will slow down. For me I lost weight in batches. I'd lose and lose and then suddenly not lose for weeks and then I'd lose for a few more weeks.

The key is to not give up. If you stop now where will you be a year from now? But if you keep going where will you be a year from now?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm going to look into my crystal ball (ok, my own track record) and predict that if you just decide to quit trying now, you will be back here in a few months with even more to lose.

For me the turning point was realising there is no quitting, because there is how it has to be. This isn't an option, it is a neccesity. I might lose slowly, but its a better alternative to staying overweight, sore, unhealthy and miserable.

I love my family, but I look at the older women in my family who get exhausted by a trip to the supermarket, who struggle with stairs, who are on blood pressure, cholesterol and all sorts of other meds, whi have type 2 diabetes and I see what happens if I "quit".

For every week I might not lose a pound, I think of the fat that may have been stripped off the inside of my arteries by the good choices I made that week. That little drop in blood pressure. That little gain in fitness. It isn't about a number on the scale, it's about my health, my life and the quality thereof.

Really think about what quitting means. It isn't just stopping counting calories and eating what you want. It's giving up on your health. It's accepting that your body doesn't deserve to be healthier, fitter, last longer, live longer.

I've quit so many times. Every time I've come back fatter than before. Because quitting doesn't mean just staying where you are now for good. It almost always means getting worse.

Take a breather. Maintain. Step back and reassess. But don't give up on yourself, because I guarantee you won't always feel like this and next time you decide to do something positive for yourself, you'll just be starting from so much further back.
  • sarlie
    sarlie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fought the good fight, for one month? Aw, honey, that's just loading the ammunition. Start over as many times as you have to. That is a saying on my list of advice to myself. I have the battle scars of weight gain and reduction. I have been on both sides. I prefer not being obese, so I will dig deep into the cavern of my dogged determination and will lose this weight AGAIN! NEVER give up on yourself.:flowerforyou:
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    You have lost 14 pounds in less than two months? That's pretty good progress.

This is not a quick or linear process. There are ups and downs, periods where the pounds fly off and times where they seem to be stubbornly holding on for dear life.

You need to cultivate patience, work at a sustainable pace you can stick with, and keep trying. When you fall down, and everyone does, you get back up and keep going.

This can be done, and you can do it. It's up to you to believe you're worth it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-path-of-success-631437
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Is this a passive aggressive cry for help or are you just saying good bye? I'm never good with these.

calvin_wondering.gif
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this longer than a month, lol...I have been doing it for nearly four months. I only found MFP a month ago. Anyway, thanks for those of you that had encouraging words. Bye all, and good luck to you.
  • Sesha10029
    Options
    ---
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this longer than a month, lol...I have been doing it for nearly four months. I only found MFP a month ago. Anyway, thanks for those of you that had encouraging words. Bye all, and good luck to you.

That's still pretty good progress. It's moving in the right direction.

Quitting on yourself isn't funny.

It's your decision. Good luck.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Four months? Oh honey - I've been fighting this battle for YEARS. Because what's the alternative? Noone can make you if you're not ready, but I hope you reconsider. Four months is a drop in the ocean, especially for those of us with a lot to lose.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Honey, no one can make you stay, but just the fact that you've lost 14 pounds in four months is something. It's taken me five months and I've lost less than you have. But I'll be dammed if I'm giving up.

I'm going to be one year older next year. And I can either be exactly where I'm at right now or I can be 20 pounds lighter, even with this slow-@ss progress. The time is going to pass regardless. So you can be where you are right now or you can be progressed, even if it's only a little.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    What has been your approach to weight loss? Are you incorporating exercise? How much and how often? Are you eating those calories back?

That might help you. Yes, diet is 80 percent of the battle, but don't forget the importance of moving around. How active are you on a daily basis?

If you exercise, eating back those exercise calories might be the difference in you staying and going. You're still here, and just by posting this thread, I don't think you want to quit.
  • digistyle
    digistyle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    In case you look at this thread again, here are my weigh-ins since September 2013.

graph_zps70ce3701.jpg
  • VaxSA
    VaxSA Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Be my friend, I have PCOS and have to have the worlds SUCKIEST diet just to lose weight. I even have to be doctor supervised because the normal 1200cal per day, + exercise = weight gain for me.

So I feel your pain!

I just keep telling myself, just keep swimming! In one year, I will look back and be glad I didnt stop! How do I know this? Because one year ago I tried really hard, and failed, and quit. And now, I ****ing wish I'd stayed the course, even if it was moving at a snail's pace, because I never want to have to lose over 100lbs EVER AGAIN, do you?

But 80? 80 is more doable than over 100. And you might snail pace it at 20 pounds a year, but hey - it's easier to manage next time. So just keep swimming, and dont hate yourself next year, and decide TODAY, that next year you will LOVE the choice you made on this fine day!

Add me as a friend, so when I fail and eat some carbs, you can kick my *kitten* for me. Motivating others, helps motivate you. =D

(and its okay to cry with frustration, too ... it's not easy to do this, and not cool for people to make you feel like it is! It's HARD, and you will fall, and you will GET BACK UP! Wohoooooo! Lets go lose some weight!)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Quitters never fight the good fight. Either you fight or you quit ... it seems you're choosing the latter.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    After the advice I gave you in the other thread just a few hours ago you give up? Wow.