cheap heart rate monitor

Options
Sooo every one has been saying I should invest in a heart rate monitor. So here's my question...is there a cheap but effective one out there that anyone would recommend. I am a college student on break so I'm not looking to spend a lot, but I want something that is accurate.
THANKS!

Replies

• skylersnanna
    Options
    I just bought a Mio heart rate watch and it is fantastic, would have loved a boddybugg but way out of my price range, it cost me $60 from Canadian Tire
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    i am with ya. i have 4 kiddos so money is always going out the door. i wanted an hrm that had function though.

i chose the polar ft4 and LOVE IT! tracks calories burned, avg and max heart rate, time spent in target zone. keeps data files for you to refer back to. comes with the chest strap for best accuracy.

i found it on ebay for 65. here it is on amazon for 64.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-FT4F-Heart-Monitor-Watch/dp/B00386E4DM
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Whatever you get, just make sure it asks for all your vital stats - weight, age, height, sex, et. al. (I can't remember what else I was asked for in mine). Anything less and you may as well use a gym machine for calorie counting. I had one that was only weight and age and it was no better than using the cals on the machines. When I switched to the Polar F6 (on recommendation from here), my cal level dropped by 100 per cardio - which told me it must be more accurate.

Google for good ones - but beware price. Price CAN indicate uselessness....
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    I loved my mio :) I got a bodybugg from my DH for Christmas though
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Sooo every one has been saying I should invest in a heart rate monitor. So here's my question...is there a cheap but effective one out there that anyone would recommend. I am a college student on break so I'm not looking to spend a lot, but I want something that is accurate.
    THANKS!

Depends on why you are buying it. If you are just tracking heart rate to monitor workout intensity, then, yes, most cheapo models will be accurate (I'd still stick w/a chest strap model, however).

If you are looking for a device to estimate workout calories, then, no--"cheap" and "accurate" do not go together. If you can't afford something like a Polar F4, I would just pass for now. Even Polars are just estimates, but anything else is just a guess and won't give you any more accurate info than, say, the tables on MFP.