How many pounds are in an inch?

Options
Specifically talking about the waistline.

I'm a 43yo male, and I've steadily lost a pound a week over the past 15 weeks. But my waistline has barely budged. It's 38" (at the belly button, if I exaggerate and push it out as far as possible). At 5'7", it probably needs to be about 33". But the thing is, I'm down to 145 pounds (I started at 160 over three months ago). How much more weight am I supposed to lose? I know the belly fat is often the last to go, but it seems like losing 5" would require dropping to a pretty unhealthy weight for my height.

Frankly, looking in the mirror, I really have no idea from where the 15 pounds have come off. I have been strength training during the entire process, and I don't think I've lost much, if any, muscle mass. If anything, I look a bit more cut than I did at the start.

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, those are two measurements that will never correlate.

It's possible that some of those pounds lost were water weight. In regards to the other ones, you can't spot reduce, so most likely it came from everywhere. I would say to keep going until you hit your goal, and re-evaluate then for you next course of action.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    When trying to measure your waist to use for a height to waist comparison you should not exaggerate and push it out as far as possible. Since you cannot spot reduce, and since different people lose fat from different areas at different times, it's impossible to know at what weight you will be what waist size. Just keep cutting fat and it will eventually come from everywhere.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    There is no specific measure of pounds it takes to lose an inch. It varies not only from person to person, but inch to inch, as everyone is different. Keep doing what you're doing, as you said that you look toner. Great work on the loss!
  • 555_FILK
    555_FILK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I will keep going. My original goal was to get down to the 140-145 range, but it's pretty clear now I'll have to go lower than that. I just figured being in the 130's at 5'7" was pretty light. But I guess it's still in the normal range in the BMI charts.

When trying to measure your waist to use for a height to waist comparison you should not exaggerate and push it out as far as possible. Since you cannot spot reduce, and since different people lose fat from different areas at different times, it's impossible to know at what weight you will be what waist size. Just keep cutting fat and it will eventually come from everywhere.

vismal - Thanks for the measuring tip. I've seen differing opinions on that. If I tense up when I measure, I get down close to 35".

This site has been a tremendous help. Previous weight-loss attempts years ago (basically excessive cardio to out-run a bad diet) have always failed. Doing much better this time!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I will keep going. My original goal was to get down to the 140-145 range, but it's pretty clear now I'll have to go lower than that. I just figured being in the 130's at 5'7" was pretty light. But I guess it's still in the normal range in the BMI charts.

vismal - Thanks for the measuring tip. I've seen differing opinions on that. If I tense up when I measure, I get down close to 35".

This site has been a tremendous help. Previous weight-loss attempts years ago (basically excessive cardio to out-run a bad diet) have always failed. Doing much better this time!

I think you best bet is to be 100% relaxed. When I measure around my hip and bellybutton area, I always do so on an empty stomach, and make sure my muscles and body are completely relaxed. No need to tense up!