Unsure of what to do next...

Options
I am not going to post before and after pictures here. I went from 280 to about 160, so that part of the journey is done. I don't worry about the number anymore really, because I eat well and exercise daily. The number means very little to me these days.

I am not sure if I want to bulk or just get the lean/cut kind of muscle. I am not looking to impress anyone or anything, just be healthy. However, we all want to work on physical appearance to some extent.

Honest opinions from the MFP community: what do you think?

My profile picture is of me just 15 minutes ago. So, answer based off that.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Have you been lifting on a progressive/linear program?
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Bulk. Summer is ending and it's the perfect time to add some muscle and a little fat.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Yep, I would do a bulk up as well

But do whatever you enjoy honestly
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I figure we've all lost a little muscle mass along the way, so a bulk just helps replenish that loss. Considering how hard it is to gain appreciable size, bulk in the winter seems like a good insurance plan, regardless of physical goals.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Yup, go for the bulk :D
  • ToxicOnes
    Options
    It appears bulking is the answer, unanimously. So, I will go with that. And to the person who asked, yes, I do have a lifting program I follow weekly.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It appears bulking is the answer, unanimously. So, I will go with that. And to the person who asked, yes, I do have a lifting program I follow weekly.

Just to be clear: I wasn't' asking to be tripe- I was asking because it might have impact- if you weren't at all I would say don't worry so much about bulking- but just getting stronger and maxing out linear gains which could result in some body fat and better musculature.

If you WERE and felt like you HAD maxed out linear gains- it might be time to go full bore with an intermediate program AND do a bulk.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear: I wasn't' asking to be tripe- I was asking because it might have impact- if you weren't at all I would say don't worry so much about bulking- but just getting stronger and maxing out linear gains which could result in some body fat and better musculature.

If you WERE and felt like you HAD maxed out linear gains- it might be time to go full bore with an intermediate program AND do a bulk.

^^^This. If you still have the ability to make strength gains without eating at a surplus, then do that first before bulking. But, if you've stalled for a few months on the major compound lifts, then bulking/surplus eating will allow you to keep adding weight to the bar.
  • toastr
    Options
    i wasn't too far from you a few years ago. I'd just eat at a slight caloric surplus and start a weight *program*. Don't just **** around with weights and waste a year like I did.

I did Ice Cream Fitness for a while and am wrapping up a 5/3/1 + BBB accessories now.
  • Tickwomp
    Options
    You can't "cut up" a muscle. you can either grow a muscle, maintain a muscle, or lose muscle.

Unless you are obese or very, very new to lifting- you can only grow muscle in a surplus. period.

To maintain muscle in a deficit, you need to do the same thing you do to grow muscle. Eating a deficit without lifting to maintain is a sure way to lose muscle.