Pull-Ups/Chin-Ups

debbyrae3
debbyrae3 Posts: 200 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Ummm... so I can't do any and am starting P90X officially tomorrow.

Is there any way to get myself able to do these somehow? Like a "work-up-to-it" type thing of sorts?

Replies

• lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    I would like to know also. I can't do any right now and I've been trying to figure out how to get started on them. I was hoping that the website that has the 100 push-ups/sit-ups/squats would have it up but it keeps saying coming soon. Hopefully someone will give us some answers:smile:
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Absolutely!! Use a chair and place one foot on it to leverage your weight. This will help you build up to doing one eventually without the chair. Do your best and forget the rest! Good luck!
    Risa
  • lyla29
    Thanks YogaRunner, I don't think I would've ever thought about doing that. I'll definitely try that this week. Thanks
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    haha i was at a family members house this weekend and they have a pull up bar... i managed a whole 3 of them! lol x
  • lyla29
    That's more than I could do...when I tried it a couple of weeks ago I couldn't even get pulled up at all. I've been using some weights and doing modified push-ups so I'm hoping to be a little better at them, especially when I try it with a chair.
  • YogaRunner
    I found this modification on youtube. Check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SluqGShKncc&feature=related
    I'm sure you can find other examples on there as well. Hope this helps.
    Risa
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Almost all of the resistance exercizes on the p90 videos have a low-impact band version that they show you too. I might suggest picking one of these up at the store as even with the chair, a pull-up can be pretty intense if you can't do it.

I would say that my biggest suggestion with P90x is that you take it MUCH easier for the first few weeks and ease into it. For me, I went a bit gung ho and literally couldn't walk without wincing in pain for the next few days. The bands are pretty cheap and, for me, definitely the right approach. I bought the pull-up/push-up bar now, but at first, I was in no shape to do anything but the bands.

I really like P90X, but it was a lot for me at first and with my additional starting weight, it was harder on my knees at some parts than I would have liked.

Good Luck!!!

--Carter
  • lyla29
    That did help getting a visual of how to do it...thanks Risa
  • YogaRunner
    My pleasure! Check out my youtube answer too.
    Risa
  • Negatives and assisted are the ways to build yourself up. Negatives are where you get up above the bar and then try to slowly lower yourself down.

Someone mentioned modified push-ups, kneeling isn't as good as using an elevated surface to start on. Start against the wall or a kitchen counter or desk or whatever, whereever you're able to manage 10 and then as you become stronger you move down to lower and lower surfaces until you eventually reach the floor or ground. Negatives here are also good, lowering yourself down to the floor.
  • debbyrae3
    For those who recommended push-ups, don't push-ups and pull-ups/chin-ups work different muscles than push-ups? Maybe I'm wrong, but...
  • For those who recommended push-ups, don't push-ups and pull-ups/chin-ups work different muscles than push-ups? Maybe I'm wrong, but...

The two are actually a perfect balance for one another. There's a chin-up/pull-up challenge and it actually has you do chin-ups/pull-ups and push-ups throughout the challenge. But to answer your question, yes. The motions are also the polar opposite of one another, one is a push and one is a pull.

But they do work some of the same major muscle groups.
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230

The two are actually a perfect balance for one another. There's a chin-up/pull-up challenge and it actually has you do chin-ups/pull-ups and push-ups throughout the challenge. But to answer your question, yes. The motions are also the polar opposite of one another, one is a push and one is a pull.

Just for clarification... Horizontal Chin Ups are the polar opposite of push-ups... not vertical chin ups.

Here is an example of Horizontal Chin Ups:

http://www.coopersguns.com/videos/exercise-encyclopedia/teres/horizontal-pull-up/

Notice that the movement looks exactly opposite of a push up especially because his feet are up on a bench.

Vertical Chin Ups focus on the Latissimus Dorsi. Horizontal Chin Ups work the Trapezius and Teres Major more.

Both are important muscle groups and exercises... but the opposite action is usually the action in reverse... not in reverse and on a different plane of movement.
  • lyla29
    For those who recommended push-ups, don't push-ups and pull-ups/chin-ups work different muscles than push-ups? Maybe I'm wrong, but...

Do you have a website for the chin-up/pull-up challenge?

thanks,
    Lyla
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    This has all gotten soooo technical. In the P90X DVD he will show you how to modify. You can use resistance bands for the back exercises or a chair if you have the pull up bar. I recommend starting with the resistance bands to get started. You can find a great selection of resistance bands at Sports Authority. They even have the handle that holds three bands at a time.

Also, the OP has P90X lean in the signature. Are you sure that Chest and Back is on the first day of the Lean program?
  • debbyrae3
    This has all gotten soooo technical. In the P90X DVD he will show you how to modify. You can use resistance bands for the back exercises or a chair if you have the pull up bar. I recommend starting with the resistance bands to get started. You can find a great selection of resistance bands at Sports Authority. They even have the handle that holds three bands at a time.
    Are you referring to the kit you can get that has little "clips" that wrap on the top and bottom of your door and you can use these resistance bands things to simulate pull-ups?
  • edorice
    Are you referring to the kit you can get that has little "clips" that wrap on the top and bottom of your door and you can use these resistance bands things to simulate pull-ups?

Yes, you can use those clips and they have more options at Sports Authority. If you look at some of my profile pics it will show you how we have our bands set up. Bodylastic and TRX also has great resistance bands offered online. But if you check out Sports Authority you see first hand what your options are and you can test out the tension.
  • debbyrae3

Yes, you can use those clips and they have more options at Sports Authority. If you look at some of my profile pics it will show you how we have our bands set up. Bodylastic and TRX also has great resistance bands offered online. But if you check out Sports Authority you see first hand what your options are and you can test out the tension.
    We don't have a sports authority near here :( Makes me sad. I live in middle of nowhere Missouri lol. I debated on the set you can get from walmart that clips on the door instead. I think I may pick that up next time I'm at Walmart and use that until I get enough strength built up to do pull-ups :) Thanks so much for all the information! You always provide great info!
  • edorice
    Check to see if you have a Big 5 or Sports Chalet. I'm not sure about the stock at those locations, but see what you can find. Some of the workouts will simply have you step on the band and do the back movements.
  • debbyrae3
    Thanks! Will check in to those!
This discussion has been closed.