Mashed potatoes or white rice?

Options

Replies

• laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I think you're making this a little more complicated than it has to be.

Relax a little.
    It'll be fine whichever one you choose.

There is more to life than obsessing over potatoes and rice.

Choose one. Portion out an amount that will fit into your daily allowance.
    And boom. Done. Eat. And enjoy.

No regrets.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    White carbs are scientifically proven to be strored as fat straight away, even when eaten in what some would call "caloric deficit". You have to eat brown rice and brown potatos. Or you can mash your potatoes with something dark, that will do the trick
    Errr OK don't give up your day job. I never new my body was racist and judged food on colour
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I think you're making this a little more complicated than it has to be.

Relax a little.
    It'll be fine whichever one you choose.

There is more to life than obsessing over potatoes and rice.

Choose one. Portion out an amount that will fit into your daily allowance.
    And boom. Done. Eat. And enjoy.

No regrets.

^^^^^ This
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    White carbs are scientifically proven to be strored as fat straight away, even when eaten in what some would call "caloric deficit". You have to eat brown rice and brown potatos. Or you can mash your potatoes with something dark, that will do the trick

Heh. I invested in some food coloring. (This is obviously a joke, why are people taking it seriously?)

OP, either is fine, just log the calories. I personally tend to prefer roasted potatoes to rice, but lots of the nutrients of the potatoes are in the skin. I still eat mashed sometimes (usually without butter, but butter is not bad, just high calorie). I don't like rice enough (I don't think white and brown are really that different) to eat it much, but that's just personal taste.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    they are pretty close in calories and nutrition or should I say no nutrition. truly I am getting away from the carby sides and just making two vegies or sometims three or a side salad instead. I use to think we needed a potatoe/rice/noodles side and also a pc of bread/rolls with dinner but now I just make the two or three veg sides and its way more filing and less calories.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options

Lol, What!?

Something dark...like chocolate syrup? or molasses? a pint of guiness?
    Thank god you've found the secret to losing weight :noway:

Yep that's where my mind went and the thought of potatoes mashed with dark chocolate nearly made me hurl

I can only hope that was a troll.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

I am quoting this because it's the best thing I have read today (although the forum day is young). Almost 90% of the potatoes I eat are brown on the outside. It only becomes white when I begin eating them. Not sure, scientifically speaking, how to change this.

Can I mash my potatoes with food coloring and make them red? Will that work? Or are you saying mash them with something dark - like a big black spoon?

Seriously, I don't want an answer.

OP - eat within your calorie deficit for the day. Don't make this harder than it has to be.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    they are pretty close in calories and nutrition or should I say no nutrition. truly I am getting away from the carby sides and just making two vegies or sometims three or a side salad instead. I use to think we needed a potatoe/rice/noodles side and also a pc of bread/rolls with dinner but now I just make the two or three veg sides and its way more filing and less calories.

I don't think we need potato/rice/ noodles/ bread with dinner - or any time if we don't want to.

But to say they have no nutrition is just silly.

Plenty of nutritious value in rice and potatoes.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    ^ Oops, didn't mean to bold all of it.

Not as tech savvy as I thought I was :blushing:
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    there is plenty of goodness in both. watch your portion, like anything else.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

I don't think we need potato/rice/ noodles/ bread with dinner - or any time if we don't want to.

But to say they have no nutrition is just silly.

Plenty of nutritious value in rice and potatoes.

There is very little micro nutrient value in rice white or brown for the calorie cost.

It's basically junk food. That's not to say that if you've covered your micro nutrient bases and hit your protein goal they can't be part of a balanced and healthy diet.

I like both and eat both, but I also know that apart from a glucose hit to the system, it delivers not much else!

Eat it, log it enjoy it!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

That's funny. Bahahahaha
  • 21million
    21million Posts: 113 Member
    Options

Bull. ****. This is ****ing retarded.

RD4L. Damn.

Oh, OP, I'd say it depends on the rice; white rice is pretty lacking save the vitamind they sprinkle on or however that works.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Bull. ****. This is ****ing retarded.

RD4L. Damn.

Oh, OP, I'd say it depends on the rice; white rice is pretty lacking save the vitamind they sprinkle on or however that works.

I think it was posted as a joke (tongue in cheek)!
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options

Lol, What!?

Yep that's where my mind went and the thought of potatoes mashed with dark chocolate nearly made me hurl

IDK - mashed potatoes with Guinness sounds lovely. And, in the same vein, am intrigued by the idea of mashed potatoes with marmite.

(But there again, I love salad cream spread on cream crackers. So I'm probably not the best judge of what tastes go with what...)

OP: Another vote for whatever works for you. Personally, I'd go with the mash as I'm not sure jasmine rice would work with the barbeque sauce. (But again, see my comment above... :laugh:)
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options

Lol, What!?

IDK - mashed potatoes with Guinness sounds lovely. And, in the same vein, am intrigued by the idea of mashed potatoes with marmite.

(But there again, I love salad cream spread on cream crackers. So I'm probably not the best judge of what tastes go with what...)

OP: Another vote for whatever works for you. Personally, I'd go with the mash as I'm not sure jasmine rice would work with the barbeque sauce. (But again, see my comment above... :laugh:)

I love mash and marmite! but I also eat porridge with marmite :laugh: and my sister loves salad cream sandwiches which is salad cream and crackers inbetween cheap white bread!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Lol, What!?

I love mash and marmite! but I also eat porridge with marmite :laugh: and my sister loves salad cream sandwiches which is salad cream and crackers inbetween cheap white bread!

So you must be in the love category then.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Gravy? I could defiantly darken them up with some brown gravy. Yea, that would make them calorie free. I think?
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    not if you're eating at a deficit. i eat mashed potatoes all the time - although only a single serving at a time - and i keep on losing a pound a week, every week.
    both are high gi, therefore your insulin will spike and then you will store fat.